After the property becomes 3 years delinquent the foreclosure notification process begins.
- 1st Notice - 5/16: Delinquency notice
- 2nd Notice - 6/16: Courtesy notice with exact required payment dates to avoid publication.
- 3rd Notice - 7/15: Required notice 30 days prior to publication--all properties with 3 years delinquent tax are notified
July 15 is the last day to pay taxes with a personal check.
- Payments made after this date must be in the form of cash, money order, or cashier's check. No personal or business checks will be accepted.
- This is the last day to pay to avoid publication of a delinquent tax in a paper of general circulation.
- You can avoid publication by paying the full year's tax and interest.
- The last day to pay to avoid the 5% penalty is July 31st by 5 p.m. The payment must be received in the office, not postmarked.
Publication will occur in the month of August in the Hillsboro Argus. A 5% penalty will be assessed on the total amount published (all delinquent taxes plus interest). Publication includes the name of the property owner, account numbers, tax years of delinquency, amount of tax, and penalty.
A certified letter will be mailed shortly after the publication.
After the foreclosure list is given to the newspaper for publication, you can remove your property from the foreclosure list by paying the full tax and interest plus the 5% penalty. The only acceptable form of payment is cash, money order, or certified funds.
If you believe your property should not be part of the foreclosure process, you must file your answer with the court within 30 days of publication.
Judgment will be taken 30 days after the publication.