License Conditions
  • There are no exceptions or waivers to the license fee.
  • No extensions or refunds are made once the license is issued.
  • There is a three day waiting period from the day the license is issued until it can be used.
  • The license is good anywhere in the State of Oregon for 60 days from the effective date.
  • Legal age for marriage in the State of Oregon is 18 years of age. 
Age Requirement

Anyone not yet 17 years of age cannot be legally married in the State of Oregon.  A seventeen-year-old can be married if they have the parent's or guardian's consent.  Parent and guardian consent forms are available from this office.

If you are seventeen and have resided within Washington County for at least six months, and no parent or guardian resides in the State of Oregon, you may be married if you have an affidavit signed by someone other than the intended parties stating these facts.  Affidavit forms are available from this office.

Medical Examinations

Medical examinations and blood tests are not required.

Issuance After A Divorce

A license can be issued one day after the final date of a divorce.  The final divorce date is required on the marriage license application.

Licenses Not Issued
  • Oregon State law does not allow the marriage of first cousins or nearer kin.
What Do We Need To Obtain A Marriage License?

Each party will need to provide the following information on the marriage license application:

  • Your name prior to your first marriage.
  • Your birthplace.
  • Your parents' birthplaces.
  • Your parents' original names prior to first marriage.
  • The effective date that each applicant's prior marriage ended, such as by death or divorce (if applicable).  You are not required to present documents or other proof.
  • The name you will be using after the marriage takes place.  (Further information concerning name changes in Oregon is available from the Recording Office.)

Please complete the application carefully, as any change made to the license after it is issued will require a $20.00 amendment fee.

We reserve the right to ask for photo ID.

Who May Perform A Marriage?
Licenses By Mail
To obtain a marriage license by mail, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
     Washington County Recording Office
     Public Services Building MS #9

     155 N. First Ave. Room 130
     Hillsboro, OR  97124

An application will be mailed to you with instructions on how to fill it out.  On approval of your application, which is normally within 3 days of receipt, we will send your license to you.  The application is not valid until issued by the clerk's office.

How To Obtain A Certified Copy Of Your Marriage License

A certified copy of your marriage license is used to show proof of marriage, or effect a name change with agencies such as Social Security or the Department of Motor Vehicles.

To obtain a certified copy, you may either visit the County Recording Office or request a certified copy by mail.

The fee is $7.75 per certified copy.

When requesting a copy by mail, please include the following information:  parties' names prior to marriage, and the date you were married.  Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope and the appropriate fee in the form of a check or money order.  Mail your request to:

     Washington County Recording Office
     155 N First Ave
     MS #9

     Hillsboro, OR  97124

To allow time for the marriage officiant to return the license to the County, please allow approximately two (2) weeks following the wedding before you request a certified copy.