How to Testify
The Board of Commissioners welcomes public attendance and participation at its meetings. There are two categories of public testimony during Board meetings:
Testimony about Items on the Agenda
Anyone wishing to speak on an agenda item at a regular business meeting should feel free to do so. In doing so, the Board asks that the following guidelines be observed:
- Please follow sign-in procedures located on the table by the entrance to the auditorium.
When your name is announced, please be seated at the table in front and state your name and address (optional) for the record. If not stating address, please write it down for the record.
Groups or organizations wishing to make a presentation are asked to designate one spokesperson in the interest of time and to avoid repetition.
- When more than one citizen is heard on any matter, please avoid repetition in your comments. Careful attention to the previous speaker's remarks will be helpful in this regard.
Ordinance Testimony Time Limits
Public testimony for ordinances may be presented within the following time limits:
- First hearing - 3 minutes for individuals and 12 minutes for groups
- Additional hearings - 2 minutes for individuals and 5 minutes for groups
Oral Communication on Topics Not On the Agenda
Two opportunities for oral communication with the Board about matters not addressed on the agenda occur during each regular Board meeting:
- First Opportunity: At the beginning, before Board adoption of the consent agenda. Members of the audience who have completed the sign-in procedure may step forward to address the Board. This opportunity is time-limited to two minutes per individual. If more time is needed, another (longer) oral communication opportunity is available at the end of the regular agenda. Speakers may select only one Oral Communication opportunity.
- Second Opportunity: After all regular agenda items have been addressed by the Board, a second opportunity for the public to address the Board will occur if more than two minutes are needed. This second opportunity is time-limited to five minutes per individual and ten minutes per topic. The maximum time for Oral Communication is 30 minutes.