Elder Abuse

Elder abuse can be physical abuse or neglect, sexual abuse, emotional or psychological abuse, or financial abuse.  These are crimes committed against victims who are age 65 or older.  In Washington County there is a collaborative multidisciplinary team working to educate the community about elder abuse and to provide comprehensive services to victims of elder abuse and their families.

Elder Abuse Multidisciplinary Team
The Washington County Elder Abuse Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) consists of members from the District Attorney's Office, adult protective services, every law enforcement agency in the county, mental health, emergency medical technicians, private lawyers, representatives from the Elder Safe program and others.  The Elder Abuse MDT reviews selected elder abuse cases, develops investigative guidelines, identifies needed training, and helps coordinate procedures among agencies, and other activities.  

Elder Safe
Elder Safe helps victims aged 65 and older after a crime is reported to police and continues to help them through the criminal justice system.  Based at the Sheriff's Office, Elder Safe collaborates with the District Attorney's Office and the Department of Disability, Aging and Veterans' Services and city police departments to coordinate services.  Older crime victims may have disabilities that make it difficult for them to read legal documents or to travel independently to the courthouse.  Elder Safe assures that the needs of victims and their families are met.  Assistance tailored to the unique circumstance of each victim may include personal support, court advocacy, or help filling out forms.

To report Elder Abuse or Neglect, call 503-640-3489 and ask for Adult Protective Services. Your name will be held in confidence. If someone is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.


Elder Safe
(503) 846-6048          Elder Safe Program Brochure PDF icon
Washington County Abuse & Adult Protective Services
(503) 640-3489

Oregon Department of Human Services, Adult and Family Services
(503) 945-5921
TTY: 1-800-282-8096