Before a Civil Infraction can be filed, a complaint regarding the alleged violation would need to be logged with Animal Services. Once that has been done, you will be contacted by an Animal Services Officer to discuss your situation. If filing a Civil Infraction is determined to be the best course of action, the officer will go over with you the details on how to file.

In accordance with County Code, all Civil Infractions initiated by a citizen will be reviewed by Washington County Counsel, who may decide against going forward if it is decided that the complaint is not appropriate or isn't likely to succeed.

If it is decided to go forward with the complaint, there may be a hearing that you and any other witnesses must attend. At the hearing, a judge or hearings officer will review the evidence and testimony. The hearings officer will make a determination of guilt, and determine what fine, if any, is appropriate. Restitution may also be awarded if there are damages resulting from the animal's actions.