The Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter GIFT (Give It From the Heart) Program
Is your company, organization or student group looking for a way to help the community? Organize a service project to help the shelter animals! The Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter GIFT ("Give It From The Heart") program is a great way to make a difference in the lives of animals.
The GIFT program might meet your school’s service learning requirements. Check with your school officials to be sure.
Here are some ideas for GIFT projects:
- organize a food and supply drive
- collect Pennies for Pets (or Dollars for Dogs or Spare Change for Stray Cats)
- hold a fundraiser
- sponsor an educational seminar
- sponsor printing or advertising
Tips for Organizing a Food and Supply Drive
One of the most popular GIFT projects is a food and supply drive. Here are tips for organizing a successful one:
1. Call us. Call the shelter at (503) 846-7041 to find out what items are needed most. Useful items include Frontline or Advantage flea control; high-quality, name-brand dry dog and cat food (such as IAMS, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Nutro-Max); and shelter equipment and supplies (such as towels, small sturdy blankets, bandages, cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol). Store-bought treats and toys are always welcome.
2. Set a target date. Decide the date you'd like to present your items to the shelter and be sure to allow yourself 4-6 weeks for collecting the items.
3. Advertise. Spread the word about your collection with posters and flyers. Set up colorful donation boxes at convenient locations around the school, community or office. Offer an award to the student/employee or class/department that contributes the most items.
4. Stay positive. Don't give up if your collection starts off slowly. Be persistent and tell everyone you know their help is wanted and needed. Your success and dedication will be an inspiration to others!
5. Make a first-class delivery. Keep collecting until right before your target date. Find volunteers to deliver the items you've collected to the shelter. When you're done, don't forget to celebrate! Let the local media know or write an article for the school paper and send thank you notes to sponsors and volunteers.
Our Tax ID number is 93-6002316