Your donated pet supplies help us care for the animals we receive. Here are some of the items the animals need most:
Gift cards to pet supply stores so we can purchase items for animals with special needs
Revolution or Frontline topical flea control*
- Cat paper pellet litter. This is the only type of litter that we are able to use at our shelter; we cannot accept any other types. Here are some examples of the kinds that we can use:
- Yesterday's News Cat Litter
- Okocat Natural Paper Cat Litter
- Fresh News Cat Litter
- So Phresh Paper Pellet Cat Litter
- Cat, kitten, dog and puppy food. Dry or canned. Prefer high-quality brands such as Canidae, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Castor & Pollux, Solid Gold, etc.
- Soft dog and cat treats: With the increased amount of training at the shelter, we need to be specific about which treats we give to the animals to prevent tummy trouble and other negative effects. We are now exclusively using the following treats:
Pure Bites Chicken Breast Treats - These will be the treat of choice for dogs on special diets. Because they ONLY contain plain white chicken, the medical department has approved these for animals on special diets.
Lean Treats - These are available at veterinarians' offices and online. We like them because don't crumble so it is easy to use tiny pieces for training. Kitties love the feline version too.
Zuke's Mini Naturals - These treats are very small and easy to use. Roast chicken flavor preferred. Zuke's also makes great treats for cats.
- Cat toys (no catnip please): For our cats, the best toys are those that do not contain catnip and can easily be sanitized. Ping pong balls and plastic balls that rattle or jingle are great. We would also love to be able to give each cat a Stretch & Scratch cat exerciser that they can then take with them to their new homes. To order, go to www.stretchandscratch.com.
- Dog toys: For our dogs, we use Kongs and other interactive toys. These toys provide challenges and rewards that engage and entertain. Kongs, Kong Wobblers, Kibble Nibbles, Tug-A-Jugs, etc. are examples of toys that work well for us. They must be sturdy and easily sterilized. No stuffed toys/squeakies please. If you are not sure about whether a particular toy can be used here, please contact us.
- Kuranda Beds (for cats!) - These beds for are very sturdy, keep the pets up off of the ground, and are easy to clean and sanitize. We currently have plenty of dog Kuranda beds, but are in need of more cat beds. You can donate Kuranda beds at a discount and have them shipped directly to our shelter at www.kuranda.com/donate/4201.
Did you know that Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter has an Amazon Wish List? Order items and have them sent directly to us at: http://amzn.com/w/3O962O1PIYLWZ
Toys and other pet supplies that we cannot safely use in our shelter kennels are sold in our store or passed on to other organizations in need.
*Please note that we are not able to accept donations of unused pet medications other than sealed Frontline and Revolution flea treatments. If you have these items, we thank you so much for thinking of the animals at the shelter, but suggest that you visit the Washington County Department of Health and Human Services page on Medication,
Needles and Other Medical Waste for tips on appropriate and safe disposal.
One of the best ways to help the animals at the Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter is to make a financial contribution to the shelter. 100% of your donation goes directly to animal care. Your donation qualifies as a charitable contribution for tax purposes.
If you would like to make a monthly contribution, you may use your own bank's bill pay function to set up a monthly donation to help the animals. Simple enter the Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter as a "Payee" and then set up a reoccurring payment in whatever amount you choose. Your bank will take care of the rest!