2010 The Power of 10: Ten Ways to Help the Animals
Sponsored by: Health and Human Services Department, Animal Services Division
Join this exciting campaign to help the pets at the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter.
- The power of $10 buys two vaccines
- The power of ten $10 buys two spay/neuter surgeries
- The power of twenty-five $10 buys leukemia and FIV tests for 10 cats
2. Donate supplies
- Frontline or Revolution topical flea control saves pets' lives
- Gallon bottles of chlorine bleach keeps the shelter disinfected and clean
- Or, sponsor an event or video project
3. Donate food
- Organize a pet-food drive at your work or school
- Dry and canned good-quality dog and cat food, such as IAMS, Castor & Pollux, Natural Balance, Eukanuba, and Science Diet are preferred
4. Visit the shelter Got 10 minutes? Stop by the shelter and have fun feeding treats to the dogs and cats
5. Volunteer Got 10 hours a month? Offer to volunteer to care for the dogs and cats
6. Become a foster parent Help a cat and her litter by taking care of them temporarily in your home until our shelter finds them a permanent home
7. Spay/Neuter your pets If your pets are already sterilized, then offer to pay for someone else's pets, such as a family member or neighbor on a fixed income.
8. Keep your pets safe at home Be sure to keep collars, dog licenses and ID tags on your dogs and cats (even if they are indoors)
9. Teach respect for animals The Golden Rule rules! "Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you." In other words, be kind to others and to pets as you would like them to be kind to you.
10. Adopt a shelter pet! One of the best ways you can help is to adopt a shelter pet if you are truly willing and able to give the pet a forever home.