Death Records


Death records are available to authorized individuals, upon request from this office, up to six months from the date of death.

To request a certified death record, please use the order form on this website. Be sure to fill it out completely as failure to do so may delay the process. You can order a record by mail or in person. The first copy of a record is $25. Each additional copy ordered at the same time is $20. Do not send cash when ordering by mail. Please make your check or money order payable to VITAL RECORDS. We do not accept debit or credit cards.

Ordering a Death Record

  • A current valid identification is required when requesting a certified death record in person at our office.
  • “Full Certified” death record includes the medical portion of the death record.
  • “Short/Fact of Death Certified” death record does not include the medical portion of the death record.
  • Death Record Order Form 

Access to death records is restricted for 50 years to family members and their legal representatives, persons or organizations with a personal or property right, government agencies and persons licensed in Oregon under ORS 703.430.

The following are authorized to order either a “Full Certified” or “Short/Fact of Death” record:

  • Staff from a funeral home that was in charge of final disposition arrangements
  • United States Department of Veteran Affairs, the Director Veterans’ Affairs or any county service officer may request and receive two free copies of the certificate of death
  • Any family member, including extended family members
  • Any government agency that needs the record to conduct business: law enforcement agencies, Motor Vehicles, IRS, Social Security, etc.
  • Anyone with a personal or property right:  
  • Any organization or business responsible for paying death benefits (insurance  companies, employers, pension funds, etc.)    
  • Creditors: businesses, credit companies who are owed money by the decedent
  • Divorced spouses: For Social Security benefits
  • Immediate family members of a child for the biological father’s death record, even if the father is not listed on the child’s birth certificate. Family may be able to prove paternity by some means to satisfy requirements of Social Security for benefits.

The following are eligible to receive “Short/Fact of Death” certified death record only:

  • Non-family member or business attempting to clear titles on properties or vehicles they own or have inherited. Normally the deceased person is a previous owner or was a co-owner of the property. (A person seeking to buy property where a deceased person may be on the title does not have a right to the death record.)
  • Firms locating heirs as part of their business in the distribution of unclaimed estates. Requests should be made on official letterhead of the firm and state the reason for needing the record.
  • Oregon licensed private investigators. Investigators must provide enough information to identify a specific record. Records ordered by mail should include a photocopy of the investigator’s Oregon license.

After Six Months from the Date of Death:

Certified copies for individuals who died in Oregon more than six months ago must be obtained from the Oregon Health Authority.