Infants And Toddlers (birth to age 2)
Things you can do...
- Hold children and interact with them during feedings.
- Sing and read to your baby every day.
- Show children positive alternatives to inappropriate behavior.
- Set simple, understandable boundaries, such as "don't bite" or "be quiet."
- Say "yes" to children more than saying "no."
- Proudly affirm children as they learn new skills.
- Focus on the behavior; do not blame the child when she behaves inappropriately.
- Delight in each child's unique personality.
- Give children simple tasks such as finding a book, getting a jacket, or washing toys so they can be contributing members of your family.
It's important to know that...
Children do not intentionally violate standards at this young age. Babies' schedules are unpredictable at first. Slowly transition them into routines. A balance of stimulating, structured time and free playtime is important. Young children appreciate and need routines, and will ask to do the same thing over and over and over!