Free Family Caregiver Training Series
Registration is underway for a five-week family caregiver training sponsored by Washington County Disability, Aging and Veteran Services Family Caregiver Support Program and No Worries Comprehensive In-Home Care. The training takes place in September and is designed for family members and other unpaid caregivers who provide care in the home. For more information and to register, see the flier.
Volunteer Orientation for Those Interested in Helping Seniors
Washington County Disability, Aging & Veteran Services is recruiting volunteers for a variety of programs to support older adults in Washington and Columbia counties. A volunteer information and orientation session will take place on Tuesday, August 19, 1:30-3:30 p.m., at the Washington Street Conference Center located at 102 Washington Street in Hillsboro (first floor of parking structure).
The session will cover the following volunteer opportunities:
- Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance (SHIBA): Provide one-on-one confidential and objective health insurance information and assistance to people with Medicare.
- Benefits Enrollment Center (BEC): Assist low-income clients with identifying and applying for possible benefits.
- Project REACH (Ready to Extend a Caring Hand): Assist isolated and vulnerable seniors in accessing and navigating resources to remain independent.
- Money Management: Help low-income clients with basic household financial tasks and /or manage their funds with client input.
- Gatekeeper: Provide training to community members to identify vulnerable seniors or people with disabilities to connect them to services and programs.
LGBT Outreach Forum
Join us for coffee and conversation about services for remaining independent and meeting future needs. For more information and to register, see the flier.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is a six-week educational series designed to help unpaid family caregivers take care of themselves while caring for a relative or friend with a chronic illness. You will benefit from this class whether you are helping a parent, spouse, or friend, someone who lives at home, in a facility or across the country. For more information and to register, see the flier.
Do you have a little time to spare? How about a heart for helping people in need? We need you. Please consider volunteering! For more information, see the flier.
Veterans Memorial is being constructed at the Washington County Fairgrounds.
For more information about the gateway, plaza and veterans drive and how to purchase a paver to honor any veteran who has or did have ties to Washington County. The stones will complete the design of the walkway and area around the flags at the Veterans Gateway between the Fairgrounds and the MAX parking lot at the Fairplex stop.
VA Benefits Alert
Individuals, organizations and some retirement communities are contacting veterans and/or their spouses about a veteran's benefit called Aid and Attendance. The Aid and Attendance program is for elderly or disabled vets who need help with activities of daily living such as bathing, feeding etc. Veterans believe they will receive the Aid and Attendance benefit and then be able to afford market rent at the retirement home. Please click the link above for more information about this alert.