Private Drinking Water Testing
The quality of drinking water from a private source may change over time, even suddenly. Changes can go unnoticed since the water might look, smell, and taste the same. Testing your private well water on a regular basis is an important part of maintaining a safe and reliable source of drinking water. Testing is also important to help identify and address any problems in your drinking water supply.
- Identify existing problems
- Ensure water is suitable for the intended use, especially if used for drinking by humans and animals
- Track changes over time
- Determine the effectiveness of a treatment system
Sampling, inspecting, and testing of your well can be conducted through our program or we can refer you to a certified laboratory in your area. Some communities offer free screenings, through extension services, called "Test Your Well" events.
Although private drinking water is not regulated by the State of Oregon, ORS 448.271 requires that real estate with a private well be tested for Coliform and Nitrates prior to the sale of property.
Forms, Fees and Applications
- State Reporting Form for Domestic Well Testing – PDF to comply with Real Estate requirements
- Application for a Private Water Testing
- Plot Plan Form for Private Water (for use with Private Water Testing application)
- Fee Schedule