Onsite Sewage Permits
Permit applications for properties located within Washington County must be made through the Environmental Health Program. Permits are required for the installation of new onsite sewage disposal systems and for the repair or alteration of existing systems, septic tanks, or drainfields. Permits fall within one of these three categories:
- Alteration Permits are required for the expansion or change in location of an existing onsite septic system or any portion or component of the system. A Minor Alteration is the replacement or relocation of a septic tank or other components of the system excluding the drainfield. A Major Alteration is the expansion or change in location of the drainfield, septic tank and drainfield, or any part of the drainfield.
- New Construction Permits are required for the installation of a new onsite septic system to serve a new residence or commercial facility. System requirements and the approved location for the new system are found on the Site Evaluation Report. The new system may be a sand filter, recirculating gravel filter (RGF), alternative treatment technology (ATT), capping fill, standard system or another type of system which will be specified on the report.
- Repair Permits are required for the installation of all or portions of a septic system necessary to eliminate a public health hazard or pollution of public waters created by a failing septic system. A Minor Repair is the replacement of a septic tank and/or other portions of the septic system other than a sand filter, recirculating gravel filter (RGF), alternative treatment technology (ATT) or the drainfield. A Major Repair is the replacement of a sand filter, RGF, ATT and/or the drainfield
Forms and Applications
The following information is available in packets or to download individually:
- New Construction Procedure and Criteria or Alteration Procedure and Criteria
- Authorization of Representative
- Land Use and Compatibility Statement (LUCS)
- System Plan Requirements (for all systems)
- Sample Plot Plan
- System Design
- Tables (Minimum Separation Distances and Quantities of Sewage Flows)
- New Construction Permit Packet
- Alteration Permit Packet