School-Based Health Centers
The mission of the Washington County School-Based Health Center (SBHC) Initiative is to support development of SBHCs throughout Washington County.
The Washington County SBHC Initiative has led to the creation of new SBHC's in Washington County. Current SBHCs:
- Merlo Station in Beaverton
- Tigard High, which serves the Tigard-Tualatin School District
- Forest Grove High, serving students in Forest Grove, Cornelius, Banks and Gaston
- Century High School in Hillsboro
SBHCs provide high quality and comprehensive prevention services, developmental screenings, sports physicals, well-child check-ups, dental care, urgent care, and mental health and substance abuse counseling.
Research has shown that SBHCs reduce absenteeism and risky adolescent behaviors (alcohol and drug abuse, juvenile crime, premarital sex, suicide and violence), while helping to increase academic success, attendance and graduation rates.
The SBHC Initiative has involved over 25 community partners, including school districts and higher education institutions, health systems and hospitals, health and mental health providers and other private and public sector funders and organizations.
For more information:
- State of Oregon School Based Health Centers page
- Oregon School Based Health Centers Network
- Merlo School Based Health Center (Beaverton School District)
- Forest Grove High School Based Health Center
- Tigard High School Based Health Center
- HHS Commission on Children and Families SBHC page