Garbage and Recycling Collection Service Interruptions
For Immediate Release Thursday, February 24, 2011
Answers to FAQs about weather impacts on recycling and garbage collection schedules
Due to the recent snow
storm, garbage and recycling collection schedules may be interrupted for
How do I know when my garbage/recycling will be picked up?
- Generally, if schools are closed, solid waste (garbage) and recycling (including yard debris) collection service is likely to be interrupted.
- Contact your garbage/recycling hauler for up-to-date collection information in your area. Find your hauler (link).
- If your collection day was interrupted due to the storm, your collection will be made up the following day.
- If adverse weather conditions persist (schools remain closed) for more than one day, customers whose collection service was missed will receive garbage service the following week on their regularly scheduled collection day. This means recycling/yard debris service will also be collected on your next regularly scheduled collection day.Reminder:Recycling/Yard debris is collected every-other-week.
My garbage and recycling volumes have doubled since my regular pick-up was missed.What should I do with the extras?
- You can place your extras (garbage and recycling) at the curb for the next scheduled pick-up and there will be no additional charge for the extra material. If there is not enough room in your containers, place your garbage in a plastic bag next to your garbage can.
- If you have more recyclable materials than your cart will hold, we recommend storing it and gradually adding it over the following weeks, until it is gone. This keeps the material dry and maintains its value as a recycling commodity.
- If you can't store it, please prepare your recycling as you would for regular collection.Recyclable material that does not fit in containers (the container is full) can be set beside the container as long as it is properly prepared and set out on the scheduled pick up day.
- No. Your bill will not reflect any extra charges.
Will I receive a credit for the day(s) my collection service was missed?
- No, because your garbage and recycling will still be collected, no credit will be issued by your hauler. We recognize that it's inconvenient to have your collection delayed, waiting for the weather to clear to make it safe for the collection trucks to get back on the road.However, the haulers typically incur extra costs to pick up garbage in the aftermath of a storm.Rather than giving a credit for missed days, then charging customers for the "extras" that are set out, the County's policy is to have the haulers pick up all the garbage and recycling that was missed at no additional charge to the customer.
Should I worry about storing my garbage for more than the typical week?
- Storing garbage during a cold weather/snow event does not typically create a nuisance because materials are under cold storage (whether stored in the garage or outside).
Contact:Theresa Koppang, Solid Waste and Recycling Program Supervisor