Guiding principles of parent education
Parents are their children's first and most important teacher
Raising young children is challenging
Parents need knowledge and skills to effectively raise their children
Parents of young children, regardless of life circumstances, can benefit in their role as parents
Basic services offered to all first-time parents
- Referral to community resources, parenting classes
- Mailed information on child development upon request
Home visiting services
- Home visits during infancy and early childhood
- Developmental screening
- Referrals to community resources
- Prenatal home visits to expectant families who may benefit from more information and support to assure a healthy pregnancy
During home visits, trained Family Support Workers provide information on child development, demonstrate fun and educational parent-child activities and answer questions about parenting concerns.
The Family Support Worker will also work with you to develop a family plan and link your family to other community resources. Family Support Workers (FSW) visit families in their home or other convenient meeting place.