Washington County WIC is dedicated to helping moms succeed at their breastfeeding goals, and we have many ways we can help. All WIC services are free to those who qualify. We have three Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) on staff to provide breastfeeding support to moms. We also offer a variety of breastfeeding classes and support groups.
Strive for exclusivity! Although WIC respects whatever decision you make regarding your infant, we encourage and support exclusive breastfeeding for at least six months and then breastfeeding plus supplemental foods for up to 12+ months. Compare side by side breast milk versus formula.
Birth Clubs at WIC: Learn about breastfeeding and motherhood with a group of women who are at the same stage of pregnancy as you. This group meets once a month, starting at your fourth month of pregnancy and continuing until your baby is four months old. Any WIC participant less than 20 weeks pregnant is eligible to participate in Birth Clubs. Group sessions are held in both Spanish and English and include these topics:
- Congratulations, You're Pregnant! Now What?
- Your Amazing Body and Fascinating Baby
- And Baby Makes Three, but What About Me?
- Mommy: A Baby's Natural Habitat
- The Pre-Party Before the Big Event
Returning to work or school? You could qualify for a double electric breast pump if:
- You are returning to work or school at least 20 hours per week.
- You are exclusively breastfeeding and plan to continue to exclusively breastfeed upon returning to work.
- Your baby is at least one month old.
You have a legal right to pump at work. Speak to your employer about making pumping work for you. Learn about your rights on these websites:
Call 503-846-3555 to speak to a WIC staff member or send us an email.