Medication, Needles and Other Medical Waste
Unwanted medication drop-off
Take unwanted, expired or unused medications to a safe, secure drop-box at the Washington County Sheriff's Office (Hillsboro) and city police Departments in Beaverton, Forest Grove, Sherwood and Tigard. Residents can turn in prescription and all over-the-counter medications, vitamins, pet medications, medicated ointments, drug samples and liquid medications. Contact locations for hours and acceptable items:
- Washington County Sheriff's Office — 215 SW Adams Ave, Hillsboro, 97123, 503-846-2700 or 3700 SW Murray Blvd, Beaverton, 97005, 503-846-5900
- Beaverton Police Department — 4755 SW Griffith Dr, Beaverton, 97005, 503-526-2260
- Forest Grove Police Department — 2102 Pacific Ave, Forest Grove, 97116, 503-992-3260
- Sherwood Police Department — 20495 SW Borchers Dr, Sherwood, 97140, 503-629-0111
- Tigard Police Department — 13125 SW Hall Blvd, Tigard, 97223, 503-718-2561
Medical syringes, lancets and needles (sharps)
Storing and disposing of sharps properly limits risk to workers collecting and sorting garbage or recycling. Do not put sharps in the garbage or recycling. Used sharps can be disposed of at a household hazardous waste facility, collection event, local pharmacy or by joining a pharmacy exchange program. Sharps must be contained in an approved, rigid, leakproof container that is clearly labeled — available from a pharmacy, exchange program or collection site.
Collection and disposal options
Approved sharps containers are rigid, leakproof, puncture-resistant, sealed and clearly marked with the bio-hazard symbol. Containers, such as plastic milk jugs and coffee cans, are not safe for sharps storage. Select an approved method to dispose of sharps from the choices below:
- Join a pharmacy container exchange program — Many area pharmacies offer sharps disposal and container exchange programs that provide containers (picture to the right). Bi-Mart and Fred Meyer stores offer a program for a small fee.
- Drop off at a Metro collection facility — Metro's Sharps Disposal and Container Exchange Program allows area residents to bring used sharps stored in approved sharps containers to Metro's hazardous waste facilities. Participants can dispose of used sharps and receive a new container at minimal to no charge.
- Drop off at a Metro hazardous waste neighborhood collection event — Residents can bring used sharps and other household hazardous waste to nearby Metro household hazardous waste collection event for safe collection.
- Subscribe to other collection service — In Washington County, sharps and other medical waste may be collected through your local hauler or by a sub-contractor.
- Mail them in — Some haulers and other vendors may offer sharps-by-mail service — a safe, confidential, "from home" mailing solution for sharps disposal. Check with your hauler for options.
Used sharps container drop-off locations in Washington County
Below is a partial list of facilities and businesses in Washington County that accept used sharps for safe disposal. Contact the facility nearest you for hours of operation and disposal or program fees.
|Aloha Garbage Company, Inc.
||20525 SW Blanton St, #A, Beaverton, 97007
|Bi-Mart — Aloha||5975 S 185th Ave, Beaverton, 97007
|Bi-Mart — Forest Grove||3225 Pacific Ave, Forest Grove, 97116
|Bi-Mart — Hillsboro||2075 SE Tualatin Valley Hwy, Hillsboro, 97123
|Fred Meyer — Beaverton||11425 SW Beaverton-Hills Hwy, Beaverton, 97005
|Fred Meyer — Beaverton||15995 SW Walker Rd, Beaverton, 97006
|Fred Meyer — Beaverton Hillsdale||7700 SW Beaverton-Hills Hwy, Portland, 97225
|Fred Meyer — Cornelius||2200 Baseline St, Cornelius, 97113
|Fred Meyer — Hillsboro||6495 SE Tualatin Valley Hwy, Hillsboro, 97123
|Fred Meyer — Sunset||22075 NW Imbrie Dr, Hillsboro, 97124
|Fred Meyer — Tigard||11565 SW Pacific Hwy, Tigard, 97223
|Fred Meyer — Tualatin||19200 SW Martinazzi Ave, Tualatin, 97062
||15685 SW 116th Ave, King City, 97224
- English/Spanish Sharps Collection Option Brochure — collection options, drop-off locations and safe handling
- Oregon DEQ infections waste disposal laws
- Oregon Metro Sharps Container Exchange Program brochure