All About Mosquitoes
All Mosquitoes are Not Alike
- Some mosquitoes live near the Arctic, others live by the equator and everyplace in between. Some female mosquitoes prefer the blood of frogs, other birds, and still other mammals.
- 28 different mosquito species have been detected in Washington County.
Mosquitoes Need Blood and Carry Disease
- Only the female mosquito bites because they need blood to develop their eggs.
- Worldwide, mosquitoes kill more people than any other single factor. They carry disease like malaria, yellow fever, dengue, West Nile Virus and many others. Mosquitoes also transmit heart worms to dogs and cats.
- A female mosquito can lay 100 to 300 eggs at a time. During her life span, she can lay 1,000 to 3,000 eggs.
- The average life span of a female mosquito is 3 to 100 days; whereas for a male mosquito it is 10 to 20 days.
How do They Find Us?
- Mosquitoes can detect us by scent, sight, and heat. Mosquitoes can detect our sent from as far as 100 feet away. When they are about 10 feet away, they use their specialized antenna to detect blood near the surface of skin.
Where do They Come From?
- Mosquitoes need water for their young (larva) to grow into flying adults. They like water that does not move and can
Source: Leon County Mosquito Control