Community Matters TV Show
"Community Matters" is a show produced by TVCTV and aired on their local television channels (11, 28 and 30). The show is hosted by Washington County Senior Program Educator Andy Cartmill. It focuses on the various programs and services of the Department of Health and Human Services. The shows are not aired according to any particular schedule, but they are aired often! If you aren't able to catch the show on TV, you can watch them on YouTube. Links to shows that have been uploaded are provided below.
- Wraparound Care Coordination - Learn about the family-driven and youth-guided process that helps youth with complex needs and their families.
- Programs for Seniors - Learn about Oregon Project Independence and other services (including nutrition and food assistance) that help keep older adults safe, healthy and independent in their own homes.
- Community Resilience - Public health plays a big role in community resilience and emergency preparedness. Hear from our program educator as well as our AmeriCorps VISTA who organizes the Washington County Medical Reserve Corps.
- Garbage Prevention - Great advice from a senior program educator on reducing the amount of garbage you create in your daily life.
- Food Safety at Home - Prevent foodborne illness at home by following the advice of one of our environmental health specialists.
- Chronic disease self-management programs
- Training Your Pet - We visit the animal shelter and learn the importance of and a few techniques for training your pet.
- Winter Safety - Be prepared and stay safe at home and on the road this winter
- Suicide Prevention
- Developmental Disabilities - What help is available
- Code enforcement, illegal dumping, what does and does not constitute a violation
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- Summer safety tips
- Mosquitoes, bed bugs, bats - Things that Bite!
- Services/help available for older adults
- Recycling and waste prevention
- Problem Gambling
- Mental Health Crisis Help
- Emergency preparedness
- Dog safety, a visit to the animal shelter
- Services and benefits for Washington County veterans
- Emergency Medical Services - When to call 9-1-1, how to drive when emergency vehicles need the road, stroke and heart attack symptoms
- Addiction and recovery
- Pertussis (whooping cough)
- Pertussis (tos ferina) Spanish version
If you have a suggestion for a future show relating to programs and services of Washington County Department of Health and Human Services, please send an email to Wendy Gordon.