Trending Now in Prevention
Check this page often for updates on current prevention strategies and drug trends. The most current news is at the top.
- Marijuana Blog Series Oregon has legalized marijuana for adults, and youth are increasingly seeing marijuana as harmless — an attitude that is an important predictor of future use. We know that for teens the consequences of smoking marijuana on a regular basis can be lasting and harm the teen brain. In an effort to debunk myths, spread the science and start a discussion about the effects and consequences of marijuana use, NIDA for Teens created a blog series on the topic.
- Alcohol and Drug Prevention Coordinator Betty Merritt put together some questions and answers regarding recreational marijuana. This document is geared toward parents of teenagers.
- MADD has a great website with a free downloadable handbook that has tips for how to talk to your kids about drinking.
- Tualatin Together, a Washington County Youth Alcohol and Drug Prevention Coalition and one of 197 new grantees in the nation, was awarded a Drug Free Communities (DFC) Support Program grant.
DFC funds assist coalitions in uniting private and non-private sectors of the community — such as schools, law enforcement and faith organizations — to address local substance abuse issues. Coalitions receiving DFC funds work with leaders within their communities to identify and address local youth substance use problems and create sustainable community-level change through the use of the Seven Strategies for Community Change. All DFC grantees receive training and technical assistance from CADCA's National Coalition Institute.
Since it began, the DFC Program has funded more than 2,000 coalitions and has proven to be effective in reducing youth substance use.
- Grass is Not Greener: Facts and myths about the legalization of marijuana, scientific papers and facts about marijuana, and resource for information on the emerging marijuana industry.
- The truth about teen drinking: most don't do it
- Cigarettes More Addictive, More Attractive to Kids and More Deadly
- Powdered Alcohol (Palcohol): Is it "the Kool-Aid of teen binge drinking?"
- Watch and share this 30-second public service announcement about supplying alcohol to minors.