Each year, the Long Range Planning Section of the Planning and Development Services Division prepares a draft work program for approval by the Washington County Board of Commissioners (Board). The work program describes planning projects, potential land use ordinances, and other Long Range Planning activities for the year.
A draft annual work program is presented to the Board of Commissioners at the beginning of each year and then released by the Board to the public and interested parties for review and comment in early spring. Upon consideration of public comments submitted through this process, the Board of Commissioners finalizes the work program for adoption soon after.
- Learn how the annual work program is created or how an issue/idea becomes a
land use regulation
- Watch a video about what is a land use ordinance and how an idea becomes land use regulation NEW!!
- Learn how to submit a Work Program request
- Learn how to stay informed during the annual Work Program development process
and when a Land Use Ordinance is filed
2017-2018 Annual Work Program - Information forthcoming
2017 Issue Papers
LUT staff has prepared two Issue Papers regarding infill standards and food carts and a follow-up report on the Rural Tourism Study to assist in the Board's consideration of several potential 2017 Work Program Tasks.
The Issue Papers and Rural Tourism Study follow-up report will be discussed with Planning Commission at its January 18, 2017 meeting, and in a Board of Commissioners Work Session on January 24, 2017 at 2:00 p.m. Please note the new location for both meetings.
The Issue Papers and the Rural Tourism report will then be more widely distributed as part of the Draft 2017 Work Program in February. The Board's decision on the Work Program is expected in early April.
Staff Contact: Suzanne Savin, Senior Planner, suzanne_savin@co.Washington.or.us
Staff Contact: John Floyd, Associate Planner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff Contact: Anne Kelly, Associate Planner, email@example.com
2016-17 Annual Work Program
On February 2, 2016, the Washington County Board of Commissioners directed staff to send out a draft of the 2016-17 Long Range Planning Work Program for a 30-day public review and comment period. The draft work program was sent to a number of organizations and interested parties, including citizens who had already provided comment, Citizen Participation Organizations (CPOs), cities and service district providers. The comment period ended on March 3.
At its meeting on March 22, 2016, the Board of Commissioners considered and adopted the 2016-2017 Long Range Planning Annual Work Program.
The program outlines work priorities for the department's Long Range Planning staff and recommended land use ordinance topics to be addressed in the upcoming fiscal year. A few highlights of the 2016-17 Work Program:
- Begin a multi-pronged, multi-disciplinary, regional approach to develop options to address Housing Affordability
- Begin work on the Aloha Town Center/TV Highway Transit Oriented Development Plan, based on a $400,000 Metro Community Planning and Development Grant (CPDG)
- Continue Washington County Transportation Futures Study to consider investment beyond 20-year horizon
- Update Urban Planning Area Agreements between county/cities
- Complete work in North Bethany to support development consistent with the Community Plan
- Complete the Rural Tourism study, including implementation of recommendations (formerly agritourism)
- Ongoing local, regional and state planning coordination, including:
- Request to amend North Bethany Subarea Plan to provide standards for 'necessary pedestrian connections'
- Request to update the Community Development Code related to infill development standards
- Request to implement a Measure 49 Transfer of Development (TDC) program
- Request to finalize land use designations in the North Cooper Mountain area
2016 Draft Work Program
2016 Issue Papers
Suggestions for planning projects, potential land use ordinances and other activities for the 2016-17 Long Range Planning annual work program can be submitted for consideration by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting Long Range Planning at 503-846-3519.
If you have questions about the work program or would like additional information, contact Angela Brown at Angela_Brown@co.washington.or.us or 503-846-3519.