Right-of-Way Permits

811 Call Before You Dig

Not sure if you need a permit? Call 503-846-ROAD (846-7623) or e-mail us for assistance.

A permit is required whenever an individual, contractor or utility company needs to perform work in the public road right-of-way. For example, a right-of-way permit is required to do sidewalk repairs, driveway repairs, construction or repair of an access, sewer line connections, storm drain repairs, and private water line installations.

The purpose of the permit is to ensure that work conducted in the public right-of-way is done safely and in conformance with established standards. The goal is to protect users of the right-of-way and to protect the public transportation infrastructure.

ROW Permit Application Forms:

Access (PDF) 
An access permit: (1) defines and establishes the point where ingress and egress occurs between private property and a county road and (2) allows construction to occur to build said access point.

Dust Control (PDF)
A dust control permit allows an individual to hire a contractor to apply dust control to a road along the frontage of their property. The contractor must apply for a general construction permit to apply the dust control.

General Construction (PDF)
A general construction permit allows individuals, businesses or public agencies to perform work such as drainage upgrades, sewer connections, new sidewalk construction, dust control application and frontage improvements in the public right-of-way.

Sidewalk (PDF)
A sidewalk permit allows property owners to repair or replace existing sidewalk panels.

Sign Installation (PDF)
A sign installation permit includes "no spray" signs that allow individuals to enter into an agreement with the county whereby the county will exclude property frontage from herbicide application as long as the vegetation in the right-of-way is maintained in a satisfactory manner.

A neighborhood watch sign permit allows individuals to have Neighborhood Watch signs installed in their neighborhood. Contact the Washington County Sheriff's Office at 503-846-2774 for information.

Utility (PDF)
A utility permit allows utility companies to: (1) occupy the right-of-way with their facility (pipes, conduits, poles, vaults, etc.) and (2) construct, maintain and service said facility.


Related Documents:

General Conditions (PDF)
Insurance Requirements (PDF)
Performance Bond (PDF)
Fee Schedule - Operations* (PDF)
*The fee schedule shown here is for the Operations & Maintenance Division only. These two pages are an excerpt from the Board-adopted countywide Fee Schedule.