Public Involvement and Events
Planning Commission Advisory Meetings:
December 2014 & January 2015
October 21 Bonny Slope West Community Planning Open House
Thank you to those who were able to attend the October 21 Bonny Slope West/Area 93 Community Planning public event at Portland Community College - Rock Creek Campus. It was a well-attended event and as a result, we received many comments for consideration.
At the community event the name of the new community was discussed. Bonny Slope West was selected based on past history (it was the name of the original subdivision plat in 1923), as well as being the most favored name in a vote at the April Open House; Whiskey Gulch had the second-highest number of votes.
At the community event there were individual stations for attendees to provide comments on 5 topics:
- Community Planning, Land Use
- Bonny Slope West Wetland and Riparian Inventory
- Creek Visibility and Accessibility, Parks and Trails
Information on each topic is provided below. We'd appreciate your comments on all or any of these. You can submit comments at the bottom of this page, email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (503) 846-3519.
- This Frequently Asked Questions - Traffic & Roads handout provides information on future road improvements in the vicinity of Bonny Slope West, including timing and funding options.
- This Functional Classification Map shows street classifications in the vicinity of Bonny Slope West.
- This Thompson Road Urban Cross-Section shows the anticipated future improvements to the road. Timing and funding of these improvements has not yet been determined. NOTE: A turn lane is likely only needed in a few locations along the roadway.
- This Laidlaw Road Urban Cross-Section shows the anticipated future improvements to the road. Timing and funding of these improvements has not yet been determined. NOTE: A turn lane is likely only needed in a few locations along the roadway.
Community Planning (including Land Use Designations)
- This Frequently Asked Questions - Residential Density handout provides information on residential density considerations for Bonny Slope West.
- This Potential Land Use Map shows the potential urban residential land use designations that the county may apply to Bonny Slope West.
- This Development Limited Areas Map shows the areas that were subtracted from the total area of Bonny Slope West to determine the amount of buildable land in the area.
Wetland and Riparian Area Inventory & Assessment
Pacific Habitat Services (PHS) completed a draft wetland and riparian area inventory and assessment for Bonny Slope West.
- This PowerPoint presentation describes PHS's methodology and conclusions.
- This Local Wetlands Inventory, Vegetated Corridor and Riparian Areas Map shows the boundaries of these areas in Bonny Slope West, as determined by PHS.
The project team received several written comments expressing concern about school capacity in the vicinity of bonny Slope West.
- This Frequently Asked Questions - Schools handout contains information provided by the Beaverton School District about school capacity and other issues.
Online Public Comments
Interested in commenting on this project? We welcome your input on any of the reports, maps, and links for the project and encourage you to submit your comments in the box below or by email to email@example.com. Your comments will be shared with the Bonny Slope West community planning project team.
An ongoing log of comments submitted on the project are posted on the Maps and Documents page.
What have we heard to date?At the April 10 Open House we had good discussions and gathered your feedback. We've also received comments from a recent property owner and stakeholder questionnaire. The project team has also been talking with service providers through Technical Advisory Committee meetings to inform the creation of alternatives. Collectively, this input provides valuable assistance for the project team as we start to develop alternatives that reflect community aspirations and the reality of planning area constraints.
- Engaging Urbsworks (an urban design firm) to help with the land use planning and public processes;
- Continuing to work with Pacific Habitat Services (PHS) on the natural resources (Goal 5) inventory to define the vegetated corridor to be protected;
- Commissioning an engineering report on the location, feasibility and costs of potential vehicular and pedestrian stream crossings;
- Working with DOGAMI to refine information regarding landslide susceptibility;
- Engaging EcoNorthwest to help develop an infrastructure funding plan;
- Holding several meetings with the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) to better understand service provider needs, concerns and future plans;
- Conducting a 'stakeholder survey' and offering coffee meetings to property owners to better understand their desired outcomes from this planning effort prior to refining options;
- Meeting with several developer representatives with property interest within the area to better understand their desired outcomes from this planning effort prior to refining options;
- Held a community meeting on October 21 to present work to date and conceptual planning alternatives.
The Washington County Planning Commission will have the opportunity to review and provide feedback on the Draft Community Plan, which may lead to additional refinements.
Upcoming opportunities for community review and input include:
- Late fall 2014 - Planning Commission Advisory Meetings on the Bonny Slope West Draft Community Plan
- Early 2015 - Open House on the Draft Bonny Slope West Community Plan and preparation of Community Plan text and maps
- Spring through Fall 2015 - Ordinance Hearings for the Bonny Slope West Draft Community Plan
The goal remains adoption of the Community Plan in the fall of 2015.