Roundabouts are a great sustainable alternative for intersections where two or more roads come together.
They are a loop-like system that allows traffic to continuously flow in and out of the intersection.
How are they sustainable?
- No electric traffic signals needed: Signs, striping and the curved design directs traffic;
- Improved air quality: Motorists don’t sit in one place idling while waiting for a light to change;
- Improved gas mileage: Motorists yield through the roundabout vs. a constant stop-and-go movement like a stop sign controlled intersection.
- River Road/Scholls Ferry Road – south of Hillsboro
- Verboort Road – north of Cornelius
- Oregon Street – Sherwood
Additional helpful links: