Back To School
In Washington County, Oregon, the first day of school typically falls on the day after Labor Day. That means school zones kick back into effect, requiring motorists to slow down and be alert. Pedestrians and bicyclists also need to ensure that they are visible, remain alert and use sidewalks and crosswalks where available.In the meantime, behind the scenes…
- School district employees receive training to become school crosswalk crossing guards.
- County traffic signal technicians are programming the upcoming school year's days and hours into the school zone flashers.
- Some flashing yellow arrow signals adjacent to schools where crosswalks are heavily used by students (example – Findley Elementary School) will be turned off during times when the school zone flashers are turned on.
Parents can prepare now by practicing safe walking and bicycling with their children. Resources through the Safe Routes to School program may help you.
Be safe and enjoy the school year!
Additional helpful links:
- Oregon Walk + Bike
- Safety tips for kids of all ages
- Stopping for school buses
- Walking and biking to school