Serving Documents


Deputy serving documentsThe Civil Unit is responsible for booking, serving, and enforcing court orders and a variety of other documents issued by the courts. Examples of civil papers include small claim notices, writs of garnishment, restraining orders, and foreclosures of real or personal property. The Civil Unit also administers the removal of vehicles abandoned on county roadways. The Sheriff may also sell real or personal property as ordered by the courts.


Civil Unit staff who are trained in civil process ensure that all court orders are processed in accordance with Oregon law and the Oregon Rules of Civil Procedure. After ensuring the papers are complete, a civil deputy delivers the documents to the person named on the paper or, if the law allows, to a responsible party.


The Civil Unit also processes and serves criminal subpoenas for the District Attorney and the Juvenile Department.


Service Fees

Generally, there is a fee charged to process and serve civil papers. State law or county ordinance sets the fee that is charged for our services. Checks or money orders for fees should be made payable to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

Civil Service Fee Table-Notice Process varies; Writs of Garnishment $25; Writ of Execution $70; Enforcement Actions $70, Conveyance of Real Property $30

Contact the Civil Unit

To check the status of a document submitted for service, please follow this link to search by court case number, or the plaintiff's or defendant's name.  You may also call the Civil Unit at (503) 846-2537, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


For Legal Advice, Contact an Attorney

By law, the Civil Unit is not permitted to give legal advice. Please consult an attorney for any legal guidance. You may also wish to contact the Oregon State Bar at (503) 620-0222.