Abandoned Vehicles

abandoned vehicle

Nearly every neighborhood can relate to the ugly abandoned or broken down vehicle that mysteriously appears and doesn't move.   Sometimes it is a livability issue, and other times they are stolen vehicles that have been dumped.  Nonetheless, if it bothers you, we want to help.


The information on this page applies if you live in the Sheriff's primary jurisdiction.  If you live in a city, your local police department will give you direction.  If you aren't sure who to contact, visit "Who Patrols My Neighborhood?"


A vehicle is considered "abandoned" if it has been on a public right-of-way for more than 24 hours and:

  • It appears to be disabled or inoperable; and/or

  • It does not belong to anyone in the immediate area.

If a vehicle meets the above listed criteria, please report it by calling our Criminal Records Office at (503) 846-2700.  We will need the following information:

  • A description of the vehicle

  • License plate or VIN

  • Location

  • How long it has been there

  • Your name and a contact phone number or address


You must provide your name and a contact phone number or address, or we cannot process your complaint. This information will be kept confidential.


Please use the links on the left for more information regarding abandoned vehicles.

Post-Seizure Notice 

Per Oregon State Statute 830.931 Post-Seizure Notice - 30 Day Notice. 
On September 16, 2017, the Washington County Sheriff's Office seized a motor boat registered as WN 7375 JG. For a detailed description and the process for claiming the boat, click here. For more information, please contact the Sheriff's Office Marine Unit at 503-846-2700.