Classification & Compensation
The purpose of the classification plan is to provide a structure that groups related County positions into common job titles. It establishes a system that is consistent and uniform in methodology for classifying jobs and allocating Positions across Washington County.
This system is intended to support and facilitate understanding between employees and their supervisors regarding job expectations, provide consistent entrance qualifications, and a structure for equitable compensation of similar work.
The philosophy and objectives of our compensation system demonstrate the honor and value we place on working in public service. Accordingly, Washington County promotes a compensation system that:
- Attracts and retains exceptional employees;
- Promotes organizational effectiveness;
- Celebrates diversity with equitable pay and benefits;
- Complies with local, state, and federal laws and regulations; and
- Maintains public trust in the County’s financial stewardship.