Welcome to Washington County
On behalf of the Board of Commissioners, the County Administrative Office and your colleagues, welcome to Washington County. By joining the staff of Washington County, you become a vital part of an organization dedicated to directly influencing the long-term health and vibrancy of our community.
We value excellence in everything we do, and respect the essential balance between work and personal responsibilities. While we recognize and celebrate our accomplishments, we also seek to continually innovate and build on our success.
The wide variety of services that we provide is matched by our diverse employee and community populations. Our diversity is a source of strength, especially as the County recognizes the role, contribution, responsibility and interdependence of citizens and institutions. As a member of our team, we trust you will share the value we all place on mutual respect and collaboration.
Please know the work you do every day supports our vision of "being a model community for 21st Century America, reflecting the best of our community's resources, achievements, diversity, values, and pioneering spirit."
Attention New Employees!
As part of Washington County's Training and Development, we welcome you to Washington County. We have designed a comprehensive employee onboarding program to assist with your success in your new career.
All regular, temporary, extra-help, full-time and part-time employees are required to complete the following:
- Employment Policies (on-line) ~ within 90 days of hire
- Employee Orientation (in-person) ~ within 90 days of hire
- Workplace Inclusion Workshop (in-person) ~ within 6 months of hire
Registration Process: All new employees are pre-registered for the above onboarding requirements and will receive a WISARD email confirmation indicating when you are scheduled for the in-person sessions. Please be sure to inform your supervisor of these dates, so you both can plan accordingly.
In addition, you will receive an email 30 days before you are scheduled for Employee Orientation with instructions on how to complete the Employment Policy training using a digital signature.
For in-person training dates, times and location, visit the Training Calendar.
1) Employment Policies
Read the following Washington County Employment Policies:
- Drug-Free Workplace Policy
- Family Medical Leave Policy
- Harassment-Free Workplace Policy
- Prohibition on Carrying Firearms Policy
- Reporting Improper Governmental Conduct
- Violence in the Workplace Policy
Sign and return the Washington County Employment Policy Acknowledgement form to the Human Resources Division, Mail Stop 11 (PSB 270) upon hire.
2) Employee Orientation
Human Resources has worked collaboratively with the County Administrative Office, Risk Management, Sustainability, Recycle at Work and Emergency Preparedness staff to design a comprehensive program filled with valuable information all County employees should know.
- We operate ethically and fairly
- We hire leaders, managers and employees that are passionate about their work
- We support good communication in the workplace
- We create an environment of mutual respect
- We recognize and reward staff for their contribution to the success of the organization
- We offer our employees a competitive wage and a comprehensive benefit package
- We invest in the learning and development of our employees
- We have family/life friendly workplace practices
To learn more about this program, review the following:
3) Workplace Inclusion Workshop
This workshop, which promises to be fun and interactive, provides participants with a deeper understanding of unconscious bias and how it impacts our personal and professional lives. We will also explore its effect on productivity, workplace relationships, and customer service. Once we understand our biases, we will learn how to increase our cultural intelligence as the antidote through a series of activities.
Our workshop facilitators believe becoming culturally competent is not a destination, nor is it just about figuring other people out. It is about becoming more aware of who we are in the context of the increasingly complex and culturally diverse world in which we live and work. It is a process, one of learning how to foster better relationships, how to be more productive, and how to improve job performance.
Email us at HRTraining@co.washington.or.us.