Sustainability Plans, Reports & Policies
Washington County Departments have also created their own individual sustainability plans that incorporate initiatives tied to the County's sustainability goals. Each plan was developed using the template below. In addition, many departments created individualized plans for reducing idling in County vehicles. Departments report annually on the progress made in implementing their plans. A summary of their most recent reports is linked below.
- Department Sustainability Plan Template
- Example Department Idle Reduction Plan
- 2013 Summary of Department Sustainability Reports
Washington County and OSU Extension Service collaboratively developed a Food System Plan for the county in 2013. Strengthening the county’s food system can improve citizen health and well-being, create local jobs and economic growth, promote social equity and support vibrant agriculture and farms. The plan identifies opportunities to increase coordination and build on existing efforts.
Sustainability Progress Report
The Washington County Board of Commissioners heard a progress report during their February 25, 2014 work session about Washington County's sustainability efforts. Highlights from the annual progress report (covering 2008-2013) include:
- A 12 percent reduction in County building energy use (resulting in nearly $200,000 in savings)
- A 37 percent increase in County recycling, and a 13 percent reduction in garbage
- An expanded sustainability education program, targeting employee awareness and action
- An increase in the number of Washington County electrical permits issued for renewable energy projects
In spring 2013, the Sustainability Program developed a written report expanding on the information provided in the 2012 progress presentation to the Board. It also includes appendices showing the status of sustainability plan work activities and the data analyzed to assess progress toward program goals.
Note: The 2013 Sustainability Program Progress Report will be published here in Spring 2014.
Greenhouse Gas Inventory
Ultimately, this inventory will help
Sustainability Policies & Guidelines
- Sustainability Resolution & Order (2009)
- Sustainability Resolution & Order - Attachment A (2009)
- Idling Reduction Guidelines (2010)
- Sustainable Purchasing Policy & Guidelines (2012)
- Office Kitchen Guidelines & Tip Sheet (2012)
- Sustainable Meeting Guidelines & Meeting Guideline Flyer (2013)
- Healthy Meeting Guidelines (2013)