Sustainability Plans, Reports & Policies
- Read the 2014-18 Sustainability Plan
- Read the 2012-13 Sustainability Plan
- Read the 2009-11 Sustainability Work Plan
Washington County Departments have also created their own individual sustainability plans that incorporate initiatives tied to the County's sustainability goals. Each plan was developed using the template below. In addition, many departments created individualized plans for reducing idling in County vehicles. Departments report annually on the progress made in implementing their plans. A summary of their most recent reports is linked below.
- Department Sustainability Plan Template
- Example Department Idle Reduction Plan
- 2013 Summary of Department Sustainability Reports
Washington County and OSU Extension Service collaboratively developed a Food System Plan for the county in 2013. Strengthening the county’s food system can improve citizen health and well-being, create local jobs and economic growth, promote social equity and support vibrant agriculture and farms. The plan identifies opportunities to increase coordination and build on existing efforts.
Sustainability Progress Report
The Washington County Board of Commissioners heard a presentation about the County's sustainability progress during their February 24, 2015 work session. Washington County is taking disciplined, thoughtful steps that are in the best interest of the organization and community, now and in the future. Whenever possible economic savings and improved social equity attributed to sustainability actions are noted, in addition to the more traditional environmental improvements.
Highlights from the annual progress report (covering FY 2008 - FY 2014) include:
- The program's holistic approach includes planning and policy development, technical assistance, education and awareness focused on behavior change and annual evaluation of progress
- A new five-year plan was developed which reflects the County's long-term commitment to sustainability
- Successes include a 16% decrease in energy use, a 42% increase in recycling and a 6% decrease in fleet fuel use
- Sustainability efforts are paying off, including $320,000 saved from reducing energy use
The Sustainability Program develops summary reports expanding on the information provided in the annual progress presentations to the Board. The reports include additional detail and information on the program achievements.
- Read the 2014 Sustainability Program Progress Summary
- Read the 2013 Sustainability Program Progress Report
- Read the 2012 Sustainability Program Progress Report
Greenhouse Gas Inventory
Ultimately, this inventory will help
Sustainability Policies & Guidelines
- Sustainability Resolution & Order (2009)
- Sustainability Resolution & Order - Attachment A (2009)
- Idling Reduction Guidelines (2010)
- Sustainable Purchasing Policy & Guidelines (2012)
- Office Kitchen Guidelines & Tip Sheet (2012)
- Sustainable Meeting Guidelines & Meeting Guideline Flyer (2013)
- Healthy Meeting Guidelines (2013)