Washington County benefits from a wonderful community of diverse volunteers who make our county a better place to live. Every day, scores of people volunteer their time and dedication, services and special skills, and general sense of caring about those around them. This invigorates our community with energy and a spirit of selflessness that makes our community thrive.
Among the many services our 1,500 volunteers provide are:
- helping care for "orphan" pets,
- keeping roadsides clean,
- greeting visitors to County buildings,
- assisting victims of all types of crime,
- engaging in county policymaking through citizen involvement meetings and events,
- providing spiritual or psychological counseling to inmates or families,
- patrolling handicapped parking spaces,
- making health and nutrition services available to those who do not have medical insurance,
- helping to maintain county parks and recreational areas, and
- searching for lost people and sometimes criminal evidence.