FAQ - Cartography

Does the Cartography Division of Assessment & Taxation track easements?

The A&T Cartography Division will reflect access (ingress/egress)easements and large utility easements such as Bonneville Power Administration on the maps. To locate utility and other recorded easements, contact a local title insurance company.

I'm now divorced, what do I need to do to remove my spouse from my deed?

If a property was awarded to you in a divorce decree, Cartography will need a copy of the decree if it occurred in another state or county. If the divorce occurred in Washington County Oregon, Cartography will only need a divorce decree number for reference purposes. The divorce document must be "final" and signed by the judge. If the decree required a deed document to be recorded, this document should be recorded with the Washington County Recorders Office, and Cartography will automatically receive a copy and reflect the name change.

See also:

My family member died, what do I need to do to remove their name from my property ownership?

If a certified copy of the death certificate is recorded with the Washington County Recorder's office, the Cartography Division will automatically see a copy of it and update the ownership registry as applicable. If you have a certified copy but do not want to record it, please bring it to our office (155 N First Ave, Rm 200, Hillsboro) so it can be scanned into our records, and then reflect the ownership change as applicable.

See also:

What does the statement on the assessor map mean when it says:  "For Taxlot Purposes Only?"

The Washington County Assessor Maps are drawn for the purpose of assisting the County Appraisal Division in the process of inventorying real property. These maps are drawn as accurately as possible from several sources and show a lot of detail. More and more agencies are using these maps as a "base map" to tie to other data sets. Washington County Cartography cannot be responsible for any other uses, or additional data overlays by other jurisdictions.

What is a "code split?"

A "code split" is a taxlot that is divided by multiple, yet similar taxing entities, such as cities or service districts. For example, a portion of a taxlot may be in a city, and the remainder may be in unincorporated Washington County. Another example would be a taxlot that has portions in two different school districts. Because the tax rate is different on either side of that boundary, a separate tax statement will be sent to accurately represent each portion.

What is an "And/Or" tax code?

An "And/Or" tax code relates to properties that are in rural fire protection districts. All rural properties with structures, and properties up to 5 acres in size, pay taxes to the Rural Fire Protection District that it is located within. Rural properties without any structures, or with land greater than 5 acres, typically with timber, will be protected by the State of Oregon Forestry - Fire Patrol. Basically the land use and size of the area determines how the tax rate is applied. So a taxlot could be in Rural Fire AND Fire Patrol. Or, the taxlot could be all in Rural Fire OR all in Fire Patrol.

What is the difference between "surveyed acreage" and "taxable acreage?"

The "surveyed acreage" is everything within the boundaries of a surveyed property. The "taxable acreage" may not include areas used by the public such as within road right-of-ways. Some property boundaries extend into the public road righ-of-way and are dedicated as such.

What is the difference between a "taxlot" and a "legal lot of record?"

A "taxlot" is an area of land defined by a polygon on the assessor map. An account number is assigned to track the ownership and tax information related to it. A "legal lot of record" is tracked by the Planning office, who track if a parcel was created legally by deed, ordinance, and within zoning laws. A "legal lot of record" can be a taxlot but not all taxlots are "legal lots of record."

Why do I need to prepay my taxes for plats or property line changes?

Oregon Revised Statute 311.280(3) states that "The assessor or tax collector shall not divide an assessment under this section unless all ad valorem taxes, fees and other charges required to be placed upon the tax roll that have been certified for collection under ORS 311.110 and become a lien upon the entire parcel of property have been paid." Between July 1 and the certification of the tax roll (in October), the taxes are owing as a lien against the property. Since the actual taxes are not known until the tax roll is certified, an estimate of taxes is calculated for pre-payment. That pre-payment of taxes must be paid before the boundary can be adjusted. Contact the Cartography Division at (503)846-8871.

Cartography & Mapping

How do I change a school district boundary?

Most school district boundaries were formed in the early 1900's and followed the property boundaries of large farm parcels. Today, many properties have subdivided, and as a result, one may find that homes across the street from each other may have children going to different schools. To inquire about the possibility of a school district boundary change, contact your local Education Service District.

See also:

How do I know what taxing districts I live within?

Your tax statement contains a break down of each of the districts that your property is located in, and how much you pay into each district. Summary of Assessment & Tax Roll contains a complete listing of the taxing districts and each of their respective rates. Additional information may be obtained by contacting our Tax Collections office at (503)846-8801.

See also:

How does a street get vacated?

Contact the County Surveyor's office at (503)846-7933. This office will review the process and answer any questions you may have.

General Information

How do I find out who owns a property?

For all inquiries regarding ownership of property please contact the Assessment & Taxation Department at (503) 846-8741.