Marriage Licenses

Marriage license applications can be obtained in person at the address below.

Hours for obtaining marriage licenses are:  Weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Fees: The fee is $60.00 payable when license is issued. We accept cash, checks, money order, debit & most charge cards. Debit & charge cards will be processed with an additional convenience charge of 2.45% (minimum $1.50).

Please allow approximately 30 minutes to obtain a license.

Licenses by Mail
To obtain a marriage license by mail, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to the address below.
An application will be mailed to you with instructions on how to fill it out.  On approval of your application, which is normally within 3 days of receipt, we will send your license to you.  The application is not valid until issued by the clerk's office.
Who May Perform A Marriage?
  • Judges (see the following link for information about judges who perform marriages:
  • County Clerks or their Deputies within the appointing county (Note:  Washington County clerks and deputies do NOT perform marriages)
  • Justices of the Peace
  • Persons appointed to perform the ceremony by a congregation (i.e., ministers, pastors, priests, rabbis) or secular organizations (effective January 1, 2018)
How to Obtain A Certified Copy Of Your Marriage License
A certified copy of your marriage license is used to show proof of marriage, or effect a name change with agencies such as Social Security or the Department of Motor Vehicles.
To obtain a certified copy, you may either visit the County Recording Office or request a certified copy by mail.
The fee is $7.75 per certified copy.
When requesting a copy by mail, please include the following information:  parties' names prior to marriage, and the date you were married. Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope and the appropriate fee in the form of a check or money order.  Mail your request to the address below. 
To allow time for the marriage officiant to return the license to the County, please allow approximately two (2) weeks following the wedding before you request a certified copy.
Please send all requests to:
Washington County Recording Office
155 N First Avenue, Suite 130 MS9
Hillsboro, OR  97124
For requests in person, the physical address is 155 N. First Avenue, Suite 130, Hillsboro, OR  97124.

For further information:

Español: Para más información, llame al (503) 846-8752