FAQ - Supervision

Probation and Parole

How do I contact the Oregon Department of Revenue?

This agency's information is provided below.

See also:

How do I obtain a Social Security card?

The Social Security Administration will provide information on obtaining a new or replacement card (see link below.)

See also:

How do I obtain a travel permit to leave the state?

You need the written permission of your Probation and Parole Officer to travel outside of Oregon. Failure to obtain permission, prior to leaving the state, is a violation of your supervision conditions and could result in a sanction. It is important to plan ahead and request a travel permit several days ahead of when you actually need it. You don’t want to find yourself needing a permit for an important trip, only to find out that your supervising officer is unavailable or that the office is closed for a holiday.

How do I obtain ID?

There are new laws in effect that specify the documents required to obtain a drivers license or identification card. The new DMV requirements can be found at the website below. In some cases, your Probation and Parole Officer may be able to provide verification of your social security number or address that you can present to DMV.

See also:

How do I pay court fines and fees?

Court fines and fee payments should be made to the State of Oregon. Payments can be paid in person, by mail, or by phone. Payments should be made in the County of conviction.

Court payment options:

• In Person: Cashiers can accept cash, checks or money orders,
payable to State of Oregon. MasterCard, Visa, and debit cards with
a Visa logo are accepted.

• Telephone: Credit Card Only. Call (503)846-8888 to reach the
accounting department and follow the instructions:
Press #3 during the automated message, then press #5.
Please Note: Credit card payments via the telephone cannot
be accepted if there are restitution or compensatory fines
involved with your case.

• Mail: Send payment to:

Washington County Circuit Court
Attn: Accounting
150 North First Avenue
Hillsboro, OR 97124

Make your check or money order payable to State of Oregon, with the case number written on it. If you need a receipt, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope

How do I transfer my supervision to another county?

See the following webpage for transferring supervision.

See also:

I am homeless. How do I find housing?

If you are homeless and in need of housing, you are encouraged to talk to your probation or parole officer. Officers are aware of community resources and may know where you can get help. You can also call the following for assistance:
-- 211 Information and Referral (simply dial 2 1 1)
-- Washington County Family Shelter Network (available 24 hours a day) (503)640-3263

See also:

What does "no contact" mean?

When the Court or Parole Board imposes this condition, it means you cannot have any contact whatsoever with the listed person. That means no person-to-person contact, such as meeting the person, no telephone contact which includes leaving messages, no texting, e-mailing or letter writing. In addition, you are not allowed to contact the person through a third-party, such as a friend or relative. The no-contact condition is strictly enforced. If there are any questions regarding this condition, please talk it over with your Parole/Probation Officer.

What is a special condition of supervision?

The Court imposes "general conditions" of supervision on everyone placed on probation. It is not unusual for the Court to also impose "special conditions". These are one or more conditions specific to the crime committed. Examples of special conditions are drug treatment for a drug possession conviction and a "no contact" order, between probationer and victim, in a domestic violence case.

What is bench probation?

Bench probation, sometimes also called "court probation" is an unsupervised probation. This means that, although the special conditions imposed by the Court are still in effect and you have to abide by them, you do not have to report to a Parole/Probation Officer. When you are on bench probation, all special conditions, including the payment of court fees, need to be completed no later than 90 days prior to the end of the probation period.

VERY IMPORTANT! When you are on probation, especially bench probation, it is essential that you notify the Court of any change of address. That way, if the Court needs to contact you, there will be no problems. However, if the Court does not have your current address, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

What is post-prison supervision?

Parole and post-prison supervision are typically community supervision that follows a period of incarceration in a state prison. Post-prison supervision and parole are often used synonymously, but post-prison supervision is the correct term for convictions that have occurred on or after November 1, 1989. In either case, a Probation and Parole Officer monitors conditions imposed by the Oregon Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision. One may also be placed on post-prison supervision following revocation of felony probation and a period of incarceration in a local jail.

What is the difference between court fees and supervision fees?

Most clients on probation supervision in Oregon are required to "pay supervision fees, fines, restitution or other fees ordered by the court." In Washington County, clients are required to pay a supervision fee of $35 per month. Court fines and fees, which are different from supervision fees, are determined by the Court and may include fines, restitution/compensatory fees, and/or other statutory fees. The Court will either set a monthly payment amount, or order the Probation and Parole Officer to set the amount.

See also:

When will I be allowed to have contact with a victim?

If you have been convicted of a domestic violence crime, and you and your victim desire to have contact, you will first be required to complete at least twelve weeks of treatment and have the recommendation of your treatment provider. If you violate the conditions of your supervision, or are convicted of a re-assault against your victim, you will not be granted permission for contact in the foreseeable future.