FAQ - Victim Services

Victims' Services

Do you have to be a resident of Washington County to receive CCVS services?

No. Our services are located in downtown Hillsboro, but you do not have to be a resident to come here for services.
See also:

How can I arrange to have someone come to my group and speak about Victims’ issues?

We love to get out in the community and speak with the public about a variety of crime victims' issues. Please visit our Public Education and Outreach page for more information.
See also:

How can I support the Center for Counseling & Victims’ Services?

There are many ways to help support CCVS; from sharing information about our center with community groups and businesses, to volunteering, to direct donations. If you’d like to find out how you can help, please visit our How to Help page for more information.
See also:

How do I get a restraining order?

To get a restraining order or a stalking order, your circumstances must meet certain qualifications.

Visit our Protective Orders page for detailed information. To obtain a protective order go to the Hillsboro Family Advocacy Center located at:

180 E Main St., Suite 200
Hillsboro, OR 97123

(503) 640-5352

For Restraining Orders: Plan to arrive early in the day (8:30 - 10:00AM) if you want to go to court on the same day. Paperwork must be completed by 10:30. You will watch a video at 12:30, then go to court afterwards. If you are granted an RO, your paperwork will be available sometime after 3:00PM. This is a full-day process.

See also:

How to I schedule an appointment with a CCVS counselor?

Just call our main line at 503-846-3020 or visit our clinic, and our caring staff will assist you. You can visit our Counseling page for further information.
See also:

I need help now. Who can I turn to?

If you are in a crisis situation or in danger, please call 911 for assistance.

The following numbers may also be helpful:

Portland Women’s Crisis: 503-235-5333 or 1-888-235-5333
Wa. Co. Domestic Violence Hotline: 503-469-8620 or 1-866-469-8600
Washington County Mental Health Crisis: 503-291-9111
Multnomah County Mental Health Crisis: 503-988-4888 or 1-800-716-9769
Washington County 211 Information & Referral: 503-222-5555

You can call our main line at 503-846-3020 or walk-in to our clinic during normal business hours for assistance.

See also:

I’m interested in internship and volunteer opportunities. Where do I begin?

The important work we do would not be possible without the help of volunteers and interns. Please visit our How to Help page for more information.
See also:

Is CCVS near public transportation?

Yes. We are just over a block from the Hatfield Max station and we are near bus lines as well.
See also:

My child is a victim who needs counseling. Does CCVS help children? How do I get him/her an appointment?

CCVS uses a "family systems" model in treating dependent children (under age 18) which means that we require parents/guardians to be involved in a family therapy approach rather than treating the child individually. We believe it's important to honor parents/guardians as the "experts" on their children by engaging them in their child's treatment and supporting their efforts at home. This includes involved non-custodial parents.

You can call our main line at 503-846-3020 to request services or visit our Counseling page for more information.

If your child is age 18 or older, and you are not a legal guardian of the child, you cannot make an appointment on their behalf. Adults have the right to consent and self-determination and must engage counseling services on their own. If you believe your adult child is a danger to him/herself or others please call 911 or call the Washington County Mental Health Crisis line at 503-291-9111 for assistance.

See also:

My Offender is going to be released. Who can help me with safety planning and information?

Amy Smith, Victims' Advocate, is available to support you with information about offenders. She can be reached at 503-846-3026. Visit our Advocacy page for more information.
See also:

My spouse/significant other was victimized and needs counseling. How can I get him/her an appointment?

You are not able to make counseling appointments on behalf of other adults unless you are the legal guardian of that person. Adults have the right to self-determination and consent to treatment and it’s important that they are ready for counseling. Your loved one will have to request services for his/herself. For information on our counseling services, please visit our Counseling page.

If you are concerned your loved one is a danger to him/herself or others, call 911 or the Washington County Mental Health Crisis Line at 503-291-9111 for help.
See also:

There is a no-contact order that keeps me from seeing my spouse/significant other. But I need his/her help to pay bills, take care of children, manage the home, etc. What do I do?

Our Victims’ Advocates are available to provide information and tools to cope with no-contact orders. Please visit our Advocacy page for contact information.
See also:

What are the criteria to receive free counseling services at CCVS?

Most people are eligible to receive counseling at CCVS.   Occasionally a counseling need will fall outside the scope of our clinicians who are counselors-in-training (severe mental illness, formal psychological evaluations, medication requests, situation where a specific type of therapy like DBT or batterer treatment is recommended, etc.) but we’ll work to refer you to available services that fit your circumstances.

See also:

What are your counseling fees?

All services are free.
See also:

What help is available to me as a victim of crime?

At CVS, we primarily help crime victims whose offenders are either post-conviction (in prison, on parole/probation, or out of the system) or whose crimes were not prosecuted. Our advocate is available to help guide you through your rights and connect you to available services. Visit our Advocacy page for more details.

If the District Attorney’s Office is currently prosecuting your offender, you can contact the DA’s Victims’ Assistance advocates for help at 503-846-8671. 
See also:

What rights do I have as a crime victim?

Crime victims have established federal and state rights and we are available to inform and guide you. Contact Amy Smith at 503-846-3026 for more information or visit our Crime Victims’ Rights page for further details.
See also:

What services are available at CCVS?

Our mission is to provide counseling, advocacy, education, and referral services that help liberate people from the effects of criminal harm, encourage healthy relationships, and promote a responsible community.

CCVS works to support victims, to advocate for human rights, to reduce the effects and risks of harm, to provide public education, and to facilitate a strong and healing community. CCVS also partners closely with government and community partners to encourage a network of care.

Services include counseling, advocacy, public education, and training for graduate intern counselors.
See also:

When is CCVS open?

CCVS is open daily, from 8:30AM to 5:00PM.  However, in some cases, appointments can be made after normal business hours. Call our main line at 503-846-3020 for more information or visit our Contact Us page.
See also:

Where is CCVS located?

CCVS is located in the passageway between the Justice Services Building and the Courthouse, on the first floor. Visitors must pass through security and metal detectors in order to access our Center. Please see the Contact Us page for further information.
See also:

Who provides the services at CCVS?

Counseling services are provided by masters graduate counseling interns and staff. Advocacy services (offender information, general information & referral, basic needs supplies, corrections information, etc.) are provided by our Victims’ Advocates. See the Program Overviews page for more information.
See also:

Who qualifies for CCVS services?

Anyone who has experienced crime, trauma or abuse at any point in their life; regardless of whether it was reported to law enforcement. Community counseling services are also available for non-victim issues.