News and Events
Since we launched in August 2016, the change-outs from the Wood Stove Exchange program have resulted in the prevention of 160 TONS of wood smoke particulate matter, harmful gases, volatile organic compounds and hazardous air pollutants!
When you do burn wood, please only use dry, seasoned wood. Keep track of the daily air quality status at www.co.washington.or.us/air.
For a printable flyer with more information, click on the image above.
Upcoming Events and Presentations:
*If you would like the Wood Stove Exchange to come present at your meeting or event please email: email@example.com
Look for posts from the Washington County Wood Stove Exchange program on Facebook.
- Fireside Home Solutions installed our new wood stove insert two weeks ago and we have been warm and toasty since! The weather has been in freezing temperatures this past week and we have been amazed at how well the house has been heated. Our utility bills were extremely high, very difficult to pay and ultimately a financial hardship for us. The new stove is virtually smoke and soot free, seems to use half the amount of wood, and is simple to maintain. One of our family members has special health concerns and maintaining adequate heat is essential to his well-being, so this grant has afforded our family the ability to ensure ample heat at a reasonable cost we can afford. We can't thank you enough for this service. We are so glad we qualified.
Homeowner - Beaverton
- I feel truly blessed to have been in the wood stove exchange program. I now have a beautiful, big, safe cast iron stove. So I am toasty warm. Plus it is non-polluting! What could be better? Thank you Washington County and all the others who help make it possible.
Homeowner - Manning
- On behalf of my mother-in-law, I can't thank you enough for the great work on her heating systems. The house is very comfortable and works perfectly. It is such a relief not to worry about the heat source, after a long time of concern. Your program made it very easy for us to make a substantial upgrade to the home heating system and the financial support made it feasible.
Thanks for everything you've done.
Homeowner - Hillsboro
- Just wanted to tell you that my furnace was installed today. It's so amazing to have heat again. Thank you for your hard work to make this program a success! Again, thank you SO MUCH for all you do. Without this program, we would still be freezing with no end in sight!
- My wife and I love our gas insert, which replaced a wood burning stove. We use it more often than the wood burning stove. My wife depended on me to get the wood burning stove going most of the time. Now with just the click of a button, she is able to enjoy the fire.
Renter - Portland
- Thank you so much for our new wood stove...my allergy type issues are gone! We are only having to add wood before bedtime to have coals left in the morning. This much better than the 2-3 times a night with the old one. Your program and your vendor were awesome to work with. Very simple and quick process after approval.
Homeowner –Cherry Grove
- I'm sitting in front of my pellet stove insert right now, love having the house warm again.For me this is great, it took less than $2.49 ( cost of a 20lb bag ) a day when we had the snow a few weeks ago, knowing the cost up front, as I use the fuel is a big help vs getting a bill once a month. Removing the old ( 45 years ) wood stove also opened up about 4x4 ft floor area making the family room larger in a sense. The big advantage is knowing the cost of heating as I go........ Handling 20 lb bags of fuel is so much easier at my age, then cords of wood.
Homeowner – Hillsboro
- The Wood Stove Exchange Program has made a positive difference for our family! We have been able to keep our house warm with a clean burning pellet stove. We had been burning an excessive amount of wood in an inefficient wood insert that was unable to effectively heat our home. The heat produced from the pellet stove is similar to a wood stove without the smoke or mess of firewood. Thank you Tim Davis and the Wood Stove Exchange Program for your great customer service and credit toward my pellet stove.
Homeowner - Gaston
- My husband and I are very happy with the new wood stove and wanted to share our experiences with you. The biggest change we have noticed is the new wood stove radiates heat much better into the room and surrounding rooms. We are really enjoying the even heat our new stove provides. After a little bit of a learning curve, we are able to keep the house smoke-free, which is another huge improvement - and there is less smoke outside, as well. We are very grateful for the Washington County Program and hope it can continue for others. Our questions were answered immediately and we found Tim Davis to be professional and knowledgeable. The process and timeline explained to us at the beginning, happened exactly as stated. The Wood Stove Exchange Program is the boost we needed to make a necessary change for our home, and for our lives. Thank you, again, for a wonderful program. We appreciate your time and assistance and expect to enjoy the benefits of this new wood stove for many years.
Homeowner - Hillsboro
FROM THE PORTLAND TRIBUNE –SUSTAINABLE LIFE SECTION –January 3, 2017
- Giselle likes the new ductless heat pump that just replaced the old wood stove she and her husband relied on at their home in Aloha. "It's nice being able to wake up in a house that isn't freezing," she says. "We went through a lot of wood in the old wood stove. If you didn't mess with it every two hours, it would start to go out. It was a constant chore."
- Ray of Beaverton, in contrast, just opted to buy a new cleaner-burning wood stove to replace one that was 25 years old. "It had been a reasonably good wood stove and did the job. But it burned a lot of wood," he says. "This new wood stove is 85 percent
efficient. I can tell it is economical with the wood, produces a lot of heat, and looks nice."
Homeowner - Beaverton