FAQ - Community Development


How do I access repair funds for my home?

Washington County provides funding for two housing rehabilitation programs for County residents outside of the city of Beaverton. A 3% deferred payment loan is available to homeowners based on income and asset limitations. The loan provides up to $25,000 to homeowners for home repairs such as new roofing and gutters, electrical and plumbing repairs, foundation repairs, and furnace replacement. For elderly and/or disabled mobile home owners and renters as well as homeowners there is a grant of up to $8,000 for such improvements as accessibility installations (wheelchair ramps, bath grad bars, door widening) and emergency repairs to roofing, heating, plumbing and electrical. This grant, “HARDE,” is also based on income and asset limits. Both programs offer one-time only assistance. For loan or grant information call 503-846-8215.

How do I know if I am low/moderate income?

The following income standards are updated yearly by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. While this will give you a general idea of the income limits, it is best to contact the office directly in case there have been recent changes to the standards.

Income Guidelines Table

I need cash assistance and or food stamps?

Please contact Community Action 503-648-6646.

For food stamps, here is a list of local Self-Sufficiency offices: https://www.oregon.gov/DHS/Offices/Pages/Self-Sufficiency.aspx

I need help paying my rent for this month.

Please contact Community Action for their emergency rent assistance at 503-615-0770.

I need more information on Section 8 housing?

Please contact Department of Housing Services at 503-846-4794.

Who do I contact I am unable to pay my electric bill this month?

Please contact Community Action 503-648-6646.

General Information

Are there any programs for individuals?

Loans and grants to individuals are available for housing rehabilitation. Go to the Housing Rehabilitation page.

What are eligible projects under the CDBG program?

The Washington County CDBG program operates an annual funding cycle in three competitive categories: public facilities, infrastructure and public services. Types of projects include non-profit social service programs; facilities such as homeless shelters, senior centers, community centers, group homes, etc; and infrastructure projects that include, street improvements, sidewalks, water/sewer lines, etc. Only cities and non-profits are eligible applicants under the CDBG program for the competitive funding cycle.

The Office of Community Development also manages a Housing Rehabilitation Program which can provide loans or grants to eligible owner-occupied households. These loans are available on an individual application basis to residents outside of the City of Beaverton (if you live within the City of Beaverton, call 503-234-6167).

The Washington County CDBG program serves county residents exclusive of the City of Beaverton. If you are a Beaverton resident, you can call 503-234-6167 to find out more about the City’s CDBG program.

What are eligible projects under the HOME program?

The Washington County HOME Consortium finances a variety of housing projects including preservation projects, acquisition and rehabilitation projects, special needs owner-occupied housing rehab programs, homeownership programs, and affordable rental housing projects.

What is HOME?

First authorized by Congress under the National Affordable Housing Act of 1990, HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) funds are federal resources awarded to states, counties, cities and consortiums (City-County partnerships) for the purposes of developing affordable housing projects that shelter low-income households.

Since 1992, Washington County has operated the HOME program. To date more than $33,440,000 in HOME funds have been invested in over 204 projects.

What is the Office of Community Development and what does it do?

The Office of Community Development administers four federal programs on behalf of Washington County. Funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, the programs are: the Community Development Block Grant program (CDBG), the HOME Investment Partnerships program (HOME), and the Emergency Shelter Grant program (ESG). All of these programs are targeted to benefit low and moderate income persons in Washington County.

First authorized by Congress under the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, Community Development Block Grants ("CDBG") are federal funds awarded to cities and urban counties for housing and community development projects. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development administers the program on a national level, but it is planned and controlled locally.

The major objectives for the CDBG program are:
     1. Meeting the needs of the low and moderate income population
     2. Eliminating and preventing the creation of slums and blight
     3. Meeting other urgent housing and community development needs

When is the annual CDBG and HOME funding cycle?

The funding cycle begins with one-day workshops in August of each year. Applicants under the CDBG program must be non-profits or cities. Applicants under the HOME program must be non-profit housing developers, for-profit housing developers, or the County’s Housing Authority. The application due dates are in October. The definitive dates are posted in July. If you are interested in getting on the mailing list for notifications, call 503-846-8814.