Fair, Fair Board, and Westside Commons
The Board of County Commissioners and the Fair Board are exercising a collaborative approach toward conducting a high-quality Fair event each year and maintaining and improving facilities and property at the Fairgrounds over the years ahead.
EMERGENCY LIVESTOCK EVACUATION PLAN:
In the event there is an emergency that necessitates our Fairgrounds to be used as a shelter for evacuated livestock, we want to assure you we will be operating and available to take in your livestock. Should a livestock evacuation be necessary, go to www.bigfairfun.com, our Fair website, and we will have more information to help you at that time, but please know our team is prepared to help you!
"Present a County Fair that embraces the heritage, values, diversity, and future of Washington County with a focus on educating and entertaining the community." (Mission Statement of the Washington County Fair Board, adopted in October of 2019 as part of the overall Fair Board Strategic Plan.)
The Fair Board’s primary function is to oversee the planning, preparation, and production of the annual Washington County Fair. The Fair Board develops both short and long-term plans for the promotion and production of the County Fair and provides input to the County’s Facilities Maintenance Plan of the Fairgrounds. The Fair Board is comprised of seven members appointed to 3-year terms, that are selected from a variety of interests determined by the Board of Commissioners, including, but not limited to:
- Urban Agriculture
- In lieu of a citizen representative, one member may be from the Board of Commissioners.
The current Fair Board members are:
- President, Gary Seidel, representing the Public Safety category (Term expires 1/1/24)
- Vice President, Andy Duyck, representing the Agriculture category (Term expires 12/31/22)
- County Commissioner Jerry Willey, Ex-Officio Board Member, (Appointed by position)
- Bill Ganger, not only is Board member Ganger a Livestock Exhibitor, he also is representing the 4-H and FFA category (Term expires 12/31/23)
- Ajoy Navin Chakrapani, representing the Technology Business Industry (Term expires 12/31/23)
- Bob Rollinger, representing the Vendor category (Term expires 12/31/21)
Send an email to the Fair Board here.
If you would like to apply to be considered for an appointment to the Fair Board, click here.
Fair Board Meetings: Sign-up to be notified about future Fair Board Meetings.
(Based on what has been scheduled so far for 2022):
- Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2022 beginning at 4:30 p.m. virtually, via Zoom.
- March 2, 2022 beginning at 4:30 p.m. and the location to be determined (virtual or in-person.)
Coordination and resource sharing between the Fair and the rest of the county government organization stems from an agreement adopted in 2010 by the Board of County Commissioners and the Fair Board. The Fair and Fairgrounds Agreement, in the form of a memorandum of understanding (MOU), is designed to clarify and reinforce the partnership between the Fair Board and Board of Commissioners in support of the annual Fair event and fairgrounds property, now re-branded as Westside Commons. The agreement memorializes a more focused role for the Fair Board: to plan, prepare and produce the County Fair. The agreement also discusses the creation of a Fairgrounds Advisory Committee (FAC) to provide advice and counsel to the Board of Commissioners on the Fairgrounds Master Plan, Fairgrounds Capital Projects Plan and other major site-related initiatives.