FAQ - Addiction Services


Can we get a speaker to talk to our group about addiction?

Yes. Washington County's Addiction Services Program offers on-site presentations for virtually any group or organization. The professional staff provides informative presentations on the nature of addiction and problem/pathological gambling. Evening and weekend presentations are available. Call 503-846-4903.  

General Information

How do I tell someone I think they have an addiction?

Telling someone you think they have an addiction is a difficult thing to do. Nine out of ten people that are dependent on alcohol or drugs deny they have a problem. Denial isn’t always a conscious act. In other words, they aren’t lying when they say they don’t have a problem. Each addicted individual affects, on average, six to twelve other people. These others often see the effects of abuse and addiction, often more so than the addicted person themselves. Understand that it is up to the individual whether or not they get help.

You can tell them how their use is affecting you, as well as others. Tell the person how you feel and that you’re willing to help them get help. Arm yourself with resource information, so it can be provided on the spot, if needed. It is up to the person what they do with the information you offer. 

How long do drugs stay detectable in urine?

It depends on the substance, the dose, frequency of use and the testing method. Nicotine, for example, can remain detectable for a couple of days through a urine test, but cotinine (a breakdown product of nicotine) remains detectable for up to 90 days, if testing hair. Same for marijuana. Alcohol, usually for a day or two. Drugs such as Phenobarbital can remain detectable for up to three months, while benzodiazepines (diazepam, etc.) can be there for up to several weeks. 

How old do you have to be to legally gamble in Oregon?

In Oregon, a person must be 18 years old to play traditional lottery games (i.e. scratch off tickets), and to participate in parimutuel betting (i.e. horse racing) and charitable gaming. A person must be 21 years old to play video lottery (i.e. video poker and video slots) and to gamble in a tribal casino.

Where can I get drug testing?

We suggest that you first talk to your doctor, who can make a referral. If that is not an option, Hillsboro’s Tuality Hospital Lab Services (503-681-1140) can take walk-in requests. Also, Legacy Central Lab Services (800-950-5295) can tell you where area collection sites are located. Finally, local drug stores carry home test kits for a variety of substances. 


Does Washington County provide treatment for addiction?

Washington County does not provide direct services for addiction. Instead, we contract with providers throughout the county to provide direct service. Washington County, in partnership with the state of Oregon, provides funding for chemical dependency and gambling treatment services.
See also:

How much does treatment cost?

Providers that contract with Washington County will work with the individual regarding cost of treatment. We contract with a number of addiction treatment providers in the community, located geographically throughout the county. In partnership with the state of Oregon, Washington County provides funding for chemical dependency and gambling treatment services. Therefore, cost will not be a barrier to service. In the case of problem gambling, treatment is always free of charge.

Where can I find outpatient treatment for addictions?

Washington County contracts with a number of providers that provide all levels of outpatient treatment. See the “Providers” list on this web site, for a detailed list of service providers.

Where can I find residential treatment?

Washington county contracts with area providers that offer residential treatment. DePaul Treatment Centers (503-535-1166), CODA’s Tigard Recovery Center for men (503-624-0312), and LifeWorks NW’s Mountaindale Recovery Center for women and children (503-647-0165), all have beds for Washington County residents. Waiting lists are a distinct possibility, so start the process sooner rather than later.

Why is treatment free for gambling addiction?

The Oregon Lottery® and its commission recognize that some people gamble to the point where it is damaging to themselves and their families. Though most gamble without a problem, an estimated 90,000 are either problem or pathological gamblers. To address the issue, the state has mandated that 1% of lottery proceeds will be dedicated to the prevention and treatment of problem/pathological gambling. Oregon boasts one of the leading prevention and treatment systems in the United States. Treatment is free to anyone who wants it, including the gambler and his/her family. Not only is treatment free, it is confidential and it works!