Online Licensing

Online Dog License Button


You can also license your pet by mail or in person at the shelter:

By mail:

● Download and fill out the Application Form

● Mail to Washington County Animal Services, 1901 SE 24th Avenue, MS 53, Hillsboro, OR 97123

At the Shelter:

We welcome you to come by the shelter to purchase your license. Shelter hours are 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays; noon to 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays.

We are located at 1901 SE 24th Avenue in Hillsboro. We are just off the Tualatin Valley Highway right by Lowe's and Home Depot.

Veterinarian's Offices:

Many veterinarians also sell licenses for the convenience of their clients. You can ask your veterinarian if he or she sells licenses.


Dog License Fees

1 Year2 Year3 Year
Sterilized (spayed/neutered)$24$40$56
Fertile (intact)$42$78$110

Senior Citizen*

*Owner must be at least 65 years of age and dog must be sterilized (spayed/neutered). Limit: Two discounted licensed dogs per household.



Related Fees

Replacement Metal Tag (see details below) $5
Other County Valid License Transfer (valid licenses from other Oregon counties can be transferred for $5 without paying the license fee) $5
Late Fee (any license that is 30 days overdue must pay a late fee) $11 



What forms of payment do you accept? You can pay by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, or Discover) or by debit card online. We also accept checks when paying by mail or at the shelter.

What dogs need to be licensed? All dogs whose owners live in our county must be licensed. If you move to our county from another area, you must license your dog within 30 days. Puppies must be licensed when they are 6 months old or have their permanent teeth, whichever occurs first.

What happens if I don't buy a license? The Washington County ordinance provides for fines of up to $500 for failure to license your dog.

My dog never leaves my property. Why do I need a license? Even well-loved and well-cared for pets can unexpectedly go missing and need help from Animal Services. In fact, during your pet's lifetime, there is about a ten percent chance your dog will be lost and helped by our Animal Services Officers or our animal shelter!

What will happen if you find my licensed dog? If one of our Animal Services Officers finds your dog loose and your dog is wearing his license tag, we may be able to immediately call you. We can often return your dog directly to you without the animal even coming to the shelter. It will also save you money. The first-time impound fee for a licensed dog is only $10 (compared to $65 for an unlicensed dog).

What if my dog isn't wearing his license tag? If your dog is licensed and we have its microchip number in our system, we may be able to use this information to return your dog to you. Please make sure to give us your microchip information so we can use it to help you!

Why do you care if my dog has a rabies vaccination? Many people do not know that rabies is still a real threat to their pets. In Oregon, most rabies cases are transmitted by bats. Sick bats often end up inside people's homes, so even if your pet is with you indoors there is no guarantee that your dog will not be exposed to rabies. Dog licenses were created to help local authorities keep track of which animals have received their rabies vaccinations. If your dog bites someone and breaks the skin, dogs with current rabies vaccinations face far fewer restrictions (and less costs to their owners) than dogs that do not have current vaccinations.

What if my rabies vaccine expires before the end of the license period? State law requires you to keep your dog's rabies vaccinations current. As long as you do that, your license will continue to be valid. If your dog's rabies vaccination is not current, your dog's license is not valid. We may ask for proof of rabies vaccination at any time.

When I renew my dog's license will I get a new metal tag? No. We only give your dog a metal license tag the first time you license them, and you can use tht for as many years as you continue to renew.

What if I lose the metal tag and need a new one? If you know that you need a new tag at the time of your renewal, that can be done easily through our online licensing system for an additional $5 fee. If you need a new tag when your license is not up for renewal, please clal us or come into the shelter to pay the $5 fee and receive a new tag.

Do I have to license my cat? Only dogs are licensed in Washington County. Cats and other pets are not licensed.

Where does the money collected from dog licenses go? All income from dog licenses in Washington County goes directly to Animal Services. Your pet's license helps to pay for the cost of operating the Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter, investigating neglect and abuse cases, investigating dog bites, and picking up stray animals in your community.

I hear that public animal shelters are awful places. Why would I want my license fees to support one? You may be pleasantly surprised to know that Washington County's Bonnie Hays Small Animal Shelter is one of the most successful public animal shelters in the nation, and has made this one of the safest places in America for lost pets. Dogs and cats are more than 3 times more likely to be reunited with their owners than in the average public shelter in America. We have a full-time veterinarian and a behavior program to help meet the needs of the animals that come to us. Your license fees (and any optional donations you would like to give) help our shelter to be a safe haven for the lost and homeless dogs and cats of Washington County - and that just might include your pet someday.

Online Dog License Button