Dogs on Parade
Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter has canceled tonight’s Dogs on Parade due to the heat. The event is held annually during the Hillsboro Tuesday Night Market at the Hillsboro Civic Center plaza. There are no plans at this time to reschedule.
“After consulting with our staff veterinarian and community partners, we decided the best course of action is to cancel the event tonight,” says Animal Services Manager Randy Covey. “It’s disappointing, but our top priority is making sure that pets and their owners stay safe and healthy in this extremely hot weather.”
Staff will still be at the market to talk to people about the shelter’s programs and services. For more information, call Washington County Animal Services at 503-846-7041.
Some things to keep in mind for anytime the temperature rises:
• Short faced or brachycephalic breeds such as pugs and bulldogs as well as obese and senior dogs may be even more susceptible to heat.
• You can test the pavement by placing your palm on it for 7-8 seconds. If it is uncomfortable for you, then it is too hot for your dog’s feet.
• Shade, water (both to drink and to cool the body) and sunscreen are as important for your dog as they are for the rest of your family.
• Never leave your dog in the car on a hot day. Even with the windows cracked, the interior can become dangerously hot very quickly.
• Familiarize yourself with the signs of heat exhaustion in dogs and ask your veterinarian if you have questions.
• Always know where the nearest emergency veterinary clinic is.
Dogs on Parade
Dogs on Parade is a fun community event for the whole family, including the dog! Held in the plaza at the Hillsboro Civic Center at 1st and Main in downtown Hillsboro, dogs and their owners strut their stuff, surrounded by the sights, sounds and smells of the Tuesday Marketplace. Dogs on Parade is also an opportunity to raise money for the animals at the Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter.
If your company would like to partner with us at a future Dogs on Parade event through prize donations, giveaways for participants, or financial support, please contact us today!