Following a multi-year planning and development process, we are excited to replace our current website on September 26 with a new design that will serve as a digital gateway to a wide variety of public services and information.

FAQ - Animal Services

Animal Control

What does Animal Services consider an emergency?

Animal Services officers prioritize calls that involve an immediate threat to humans, or for injured animals as follows: --Dogs and cats actively attacking humans. --Domestic animals are sick or injured and in immediate need of assistance. --Animals that are left unattended in vehicles during hot weather over 75 degrees. --Police, Fire, Postal, or Animal Services officers requesting assistance. Non-emergency situations may include dogs running loose, barking dogs, animals that are dead and stray animals that have been restrained by residents. Many times, calling 911 or the police non-emergency line at 503-629-0111 for situations that require immediate response can get assistance to the scene more quickly. Our officers do not have the ability to respond with lights and sirens, and must obey all traffic laws and speed limits in their travels.

See also:

Can Animal Services help me with a problem skunk, raccoon or other wild animal?

Animal Services is not authorized to assist citizens with wild animals. Please review the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife page on living with Oregon wildlife or call them at 503-947-6000. They also have a list of Wildlife Control Operators, which are businesses/individuals who are permitted by ODFW to deal with certain nuisance wild animals for a fee.

See also:

Can Animal Services pick up a dead animal on the roadside?

Animal Services responds to requests to pick-up dead dogs and cats only. If the dead animal is a deer or elk, then please call Washington County Land Use & Transportation, Operations division to request a pick-up. If the dead animal is livestock (cow, horse, sheep) and in the road, then please call Washington County Land Use & Transportation. If the dead animal is a wild animal (coyote, opossum, skunk, etc.), then Animal Services will not pick-up the remains. Please call your local city's public works department for assistance.

See also:

Can Animal Services pick up a dog that is running loose in my neighborhood?

It is unlawful under Code 6.04.230 for any person to be the owner or keeper of a dog running at-large. Any dog found running at large may be impounded and brought to the shelter. Redemption fees and fines may then be charged.

See also:

Can Animal Services remove an aggressive dog from an irresponsible owner?

A dog is considered property, and Animal Services cannot remove someone’s property without official cause or a judge's order. As long as an owner keeps his dog(s) confined to his property and complies with animal ordinances, Animal Services cannot take any action against the owner, such as taking the person’s dog from them. If the dog is violating any County Ordinances, Animal Services may cite the owner. A dog found to have committed dangerous behavior may require restrictions for the owner to keep it on its property.

See also:

Can Animal Services take my own cat/dog to the Animal Shelter?

On special cases only, Animal Services may pick-up an owner's pet for a fee. A pick-up fee and disposal fee (if the animal is dead) will be charged. The disposal fee is based on the animal's weight. Usually, this service is performed on a time-available basis, after priority calls. You may also bring the pet to the animal shelter.

See also:

Can I remain anonymous when I call in a complaint?

The information provided to Animal Services becomes a public record and is not confidential. We are unable to take or act on anonymous information.

See also:

Can I trap animals?

It is legal to trap nuisance dogs and cats that have trespassed onto your property. There are humane traps that do not injure animals that can be rented or purchased at some feed stores and specialty rental outlets. All trapped dogs and cats must be brought into the shelter.

How do you become an Animal Control Officer?

There are many ways one enters this profession. Some people have a law enforcement background. For instance one may have a degree in Criminal Justice, be a former police officer or sheriff's deputy, or have pursued training in the animal control field by taking classes from the National Animal Control Association or something similar. Some people first get jobs as volunteers at a nonprofit agency or county or city animal shelter. This then leads into opportunities for full time or part time employment. Some start out as animal caretakers although the jobs for an Animal Control Officer and Animal Care Technician are very different. ACO's don't interact with that many animals on a daily basis and in fact are code enforcement officers who mediate neighborhood problems, enforce laws and issue citations resulting in lots of courtroom testimony. ACO's spend most of their time interacting with people not animals. If you are interested in the handling and interacting with the animals an animal care technician job may be preferable. The training that might interest you to be an animal control officer can be found by looking up the following web sites: Humane Society University, National Animal Control Association, Washington (State) Animal Control Association, the American Humane Association and the University of Missouri's Law Enforcement Training Institute National Cruelty Investigations School.

I am the manager of a mobile home park (or apartment complex) and we do not allow large breed dogs in our park.  We have a tenant who has a big dog. Can Animal Services require the owner to get rid of the big dog? 

Animal Services cannot enforce restrictions or contractual agreements with your tenants. Officers can only enforce violations of the Washington County animal ordinances.

I found a baby (or injured) bird can I bring it to you?

Please read the Audubon Society of Portland guide on what to do if you find a baby bird and call their wildlife care center hotline at 503-292-0304 for additional assistance and information. The wildlife care center can also give you advice on injured wildlife, but they are unable to accept non-native, exotic or domestic animals for treatment.

See also:

I have a problem with wild animals getting into my garbage, what should I do?

Wild animals are scavengers. Keep garbage cans covered with the lids locked down. Do not feed domestic animals outside. Do not store wild bird food outside. Trapping should be a last resort alternative. For information visit the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife page on living with Oregon wildlife or call them at 503-947-6000. They also have a list of Wildlife Control Operators, which are businesses/individuals who are permitted by ODFW to deal with certain nuisance wild animals for a fee.

See also:

I received a citation or infraction. Where do I go to pay or arrange for a hearing?

Animal Services’ citations and infractions are adjudicated through the Justice Court at 3700 SW Murray Boulevard, Suite #150, Beaverton, Oregon 97005.

I think an animal is being abused or neglected. What can Animal Services do about cruelty and neglect?

It is unlawful to commit acts of cruelty and/or neglect to animals. This includes abuse; neglect; abandonment; deprivation of food, drink or adequate and humane shelter; or confinement in a motor vehicle under conditions that endanger the health or well-being of the animal. Animal Services officers investigate cruelty and/or neglect of any domestic animal. Call Washington County Animal Services office to report any abuse or neglect. The complainant must provide his/her name, address, phone number, cross street, animal owner's name, address, and cross street. The complainant must specify what the problem is, the type of animal allegedly incurring the cruelty, and when the complainant first noticed problem. Abuse and/or neglect convictions are subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

See also:

I want my problem taken care of now. So what if I lie and file a false report about its urgency?

Providing false information to an Animal Services Employee is a violation of County Code that can result in a fine of up to $1,000. Lying and filing a false report or urgency could take Animal Services away from a legitimate emergency. This could result in pets, children and adults getting injured. Criminal charges may also be pursued.

If I get a trap elsewhere and catch something, where do I take the animal?

It is your legal obligation to bring all trapped domestic animals (dogs and cats) to the animal shelter in the jurisdiction within which the animal is trapped. You need a permit to trap wildlife. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has specific rules pertaining to the trapping and transport of wildlife. Please review the information on their Wildlife Control Operators page and contact them at 503-947-6000 with additional questions.

See also:

My dog has all of its vaccinations and is not mean, but it bit a person. Now my dog must be in quarantine. What does this mean?

Animal Services is required by law to do a dog bite investigation, fill out a bite report and observe animals that have bitten a human where the bite broke the skin. In Oregon, when a dog, cat or ferret bites a person, it must be placed in observation for 10 days. During the observation period, the animal must be quarantined from other animals or people who do not live in the home, and can only go outside to use the bathroom. Observation might be required at the animal shelter, a veterinary clinic or your home.

See also:

My dog likes to ride in the back of my truck. What are the laws regarding him riding back there?

According to ORS 811.200, it is illegal for a person to carry a dog upon the hood, fender, running board or other external part of any automobile or truck, unless the dog is protected by framework, carrier, or other device sufficient to keep it falling from the vehicle.

See also:

My neighbor has an aggressive pit bull.  It is in a fenced area but I am afraid of it.  How do I go about getting it removed from the neighborhood?

It is NOT against any law in Washington County to own a pit bull or any other type of dog. As long as the owner complies with animal ordinances he/she may own any breed of canine.

My neighbor’s dog gets out all the time and chases me.  What can I do?

If you have a continuing problem with a neighbor’s loose dog and chasing you, get to safety and call Animal Services. If the dog is out when one of our officers arrives on the scene, the officer may impound the dog. In addition, the officer may speak with the dog owner/keeper or cite the owner/keeper. The officer will take any action he/she deems necessary when arriving on the scene.

See also:

My roommate has a dog and I help take care of it when he’s at work. When I let the dog go out he won’t come back when I call.  Can I be held responsible for the dog?

Yes, as a dog caregiver or keeper you can be held responsible for the activity of the animal and can receive citations. Work with the dog and your roommate to find a way to control the dog.

See also:

There is a dog running in my livestock yard/barn. What can I do?

Animal Services responds to livestock concerns in which a dog is believed to have injured, chased, or killed any livestock. The owner of the livestock that has been damaged by any dog may take action against the owner of the dog. This action is considered a civil matter between the livestock owner and the dog owner. Animal Services will respond to a call when a dog is in the livestock yard/barn.

See also:

What can I do about a barking dog in my neighborhood?

It is a violation under Code 6.04.260 for any person to be the owner or keeper of a dog that is committing a Continuous Annoyance, which means any repeated barking, whining, screeching, howling, or other sounds caused by a dog or dogs which can be heard beyond the boundary of the dog's property. A dog allowed to be a Continuous Annoyance for a total of five (5) or more minutes out of any fifteen (15) minute period can result in a maximum fine of up to $500 per occurrence. Often when two neighbors get together and discuss why the dog is barking, the problem is taken care of without legal process. Making the dog owner aware of the situation usually solves the problem. Animal Services will dispatch an officer to discuss the problem with the dog owner/keeper and may issue citations if the Continuous Annoyance is not abated.

What happens to the animals when you take them from the trap?

Dogs and cats without licenses, tags, or microchips are held 3 business days. Licensed, tagged, or chipped dogs are held 7 business days. After the holding period is over, the animal is assessed for health, behavior and adoptability so that the pet can be moved into a new permanent home, a placement partner, or foster environment.

What is the limit of pets is Washington County?

The different cities in Washington County have their own number limits. If you live within one of the incorporated cities, please check with their zoning or planning section for their regulations. In the unincorporated parts of Washington County, you may own four or less adult dogs. County Code Compliance Officers should be notified if you feel that your neighbors are out of compliance.

When I call for service, how long will it take Animal Services to get here?

In most cases, Animal Services officers will arrive within two hours.

Why was an Animal Services vehicle at my house? 

If Animal Services had a call at your address the dispatcher can tell you the nature of the call. In many cases, the officer may have received a call to patrol in the neighborhood and simply stopped to complete a patrol report or take a cell phone call. If an officer stops at a residence on a complaint, he will leave a notice hanging on your door. Officers also routinely follow-up on expired dog licenses. If you had a previous dog license the officer may be following up on it.


Are donations to Washington County Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter tax deductible?

Yes! Cash and in-kind donations to our organization are tax deductible. Our Tax ID is 93-6002316. All donations stay right here within our organization and help us care for all of the animals that come through our shelter each year. These animals include stray and injured animals that often need specialized care or treatments provided by our knowledgeable animal care and veterinary medical teams.

Is Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter a private nonprofit under 501(c)3?

Donations to our animal shelter are tax deductible. We are not a private, nonprofit organization. The Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter is a Washington County government agency; donations are deductible under the IRS code 170(c). Our Tax ID is 93-6002316. All donations stay within our organization and help us care for the sheltered animals.


Can we have a tour of the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter?

Yes. Educating our community is vital. We do offer tours by appointment. If you are interested in learning more about the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter, you may email or call our office at 503-846-7041.

Does the Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter offer education in the schools?

Yes. Our goal is to teach children the importance of the "Golden Rule"--treat animals with kindness the way you want to be treated. Currently, we offer safety around dogs education and/or humane education. Call our front desk for more information 503-846-7041.


How long is a dog license good for?

You may purchase a one, two or three year dog license. It is your responsibility to provide a current rabies vaccination certificate to Animal Services in order to keep your license active.

See also:

I don't have a certificate of spay or neuter for my pet. What can I do?

Animal care staff can look at a male dog to determine whether it has been neutered. On a spayed female, you will need verification from a veterinarian.

See also:

I give my own shots so I can't furnish proof from a veterinarian that my dog has had his rabies shot. What can I do?

Only rabies vaccinations given by a licensed veterinarian are considered valid in Oregon for dogs, cats and ferrets.

See also:

I just moved to Washington County and have a dog license from another area that is still active. Can my dog use this license until it expires?

Yes, Washington County honors licenses from other jurisdictions with proof of validity. You may also transfer your valid license from your old address to your new address in Washington County by paying a nominal fee.

See also:

Is there a senior citizen discount for dog licenses?

If your dog is spayed or neutered AND you are 65 years or better, you will qualify for a reduced licensing fee.

See also:

What are the benefits of having a dog license?

--Dog license tags help reunite lost dogs with their owners. --If your dog is impounded and is current on its Washington County dog license, then the impound fee for a first offense is only $10.00. That compares to an impound fee of $65.00 for a first offense on an unlicensed dog. --When local residents find stray dogs, they can call Animal Services. With the license numbers, our staff can give the dog finder your contact information. --When an Animal Services officer finds a dog with a license, the officer calls the shelter to find out who owns it so they can attempt to take the dog home. --If your dog is found injured and wearing its license, Animal Services officers will attempt to obtain emergency medical attention for it and contact you with the details. --A license is a good idea and it’s the law.

See also:

What is a puppy license?

Washington County Animal Services offers free licensing to all puppies less than six months of age. When the puppy reaches six months, you must submit the dog’s rabies vaccination certification to convert it into an adult dog license.

See also:

What is the difference between a license tag, a rabies tag, and a microchip?

Washington County Animal Code requires a dog to wear a license tag that Washington County issues. A license tag is issued after payment and proof of rabies is received. Dogs are required to have a current rabies vaccination and some veterinarians issue a separate rabies tag. A microchip is a device that is implanted at the base of the neck in an animal. It is encoded with a unique number. Animal Services recommends microchips for all pets. However, they are not required for licensing.

See also:

Where can I purchase a dog license?

You may purchase a dog license at any of the following: Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter 1901 S.E. 24th Avenue Hillsboro, OR 97123 Through the mail On our Internet Web site at At many of the local veterinary clinics in Washington County.

See also:


How can I help the pets at the animal shelter?

The Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter depends on the generous hearts of our volunteers and donors. We wouldn’t be able to care for and find homes for the animals without the direct help of hundreds of citizens every year. Your help makes a difference. Last year, we received nearly $120,000 in donations. Even more importantly, 100 volunteers gave us 3800 hours of time. In today’s difficult economic times, your support is more important to us than ever before. When you share your time and money, you are saving the lives of the animals that need you.

See also:

How do you become an Animal Shelter Technician?

While previous experience handling animals helps, it may not be an absolute requirement. The job of a Shelter Technician not only includes the caring or handling of animals, but may also include the cleaning of their cages or kennels, the administration of vaccines, the performance of animal behavioral assessments, and the dealing with both happy and angry customers. There are various ways one can prepare him or herself to enter this field. One can be a volunteer at an animal shelter or humane society, performing some of the duties a shelter technician does, like animal handling, kennel cleaning, and/or interacting with the public. One can also have worked in the veterinary field, as an assistant or certified veterinary technician. One can also have worked in a boarding kennel tending to animals and working with customers.

I can no longer keep my pet. Can I bring it to the animal shelter?

Our first priority is stray animals. Sometimes Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter is unable to admit pets from owners due to the large number of strays that are currently at the shelter. Please call for more information and for a list of other options available to you.

See also:

Where is Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter located?

Washington County Animal Services & Bonnie L. Hays Small Animal Shelter is located at 1901 SE 24th Avenue in Hillsboro, Oregon 97123. The shelter is along Highway 8 (Tualatin Valley Highway) across from the Sunset Esplanade shopping center. The shelter shares a parking lot with Lowe’s Home Improvement store.

See also: