- Green Business Leaders
- Request free assistance
- Recycle at work
- Reduce food waste
- Green Business Award
- Green business resources
We're here to help your business become more sustainable. Through the Green Business Leaders service, your business will receive:
- Fresh ideas for engaging employees on waste prevention, recycling and composting.
- Free supplies, such as recycling and composting bins, bags and signs.
- Assistance setting up new or improved recycling and composting systems.
- Staff training.
- Access to a Green Business Advisor, an expert coach dedicated to helping you meet your environmental goals.
Our Green Business Advisors are ready to roll up their sleeves and get to work making your business more sustainable. Simply complete the form below and we'll pair you with a coach in no time.
Questions? Contact us at 503-846-3605 or email@example.com.
We make it easy to recycle at work! Recycling saves natural resources, prevents pollution and helps build a stronger economy. Businesses in Washington County are required to recycle because they play a critical role in reducing the amount of material we throw out.
- Check out our resources below to download and print your own recycling posters.
- Contact us to request recycling training for employees, assistance setting up recycling and waste reduction systems, and free resources, like printed posters and labels for bins.
- Find out where to recycle items like electronics, batteries, light bulbs and bulky items by using our What to Recycle and Where? tool.
- Learn more about the recycling requirements for your business.
Food is greater than garbage! Simply tossing out food is a major missed opportunity. There are enormous environmental and economic benefits if we handle our food waste and leftovers a little differently.
Prevent. Stopping food waste before it begins has the greatest impact, because the majority of food's environmental footprint is created before it even reaches your kitchen. While you know your operations best, Washington County can help conduct a waste assessment to show you how much food ends up in the garbage. Read about how your peers prevent food waste.
Donate. Donating food in any amount helps your business waste less while supporting community members in need. Over 64,000 people in Washington County are food insecure, meaning they don't know where their next meal is coming from. We can connect you with a food donation recipient and set up a simple food rescue program.
Compost. By separating food scraps for composting instead of putting them in the garbage, your business saves a valuable resource from going to waste. Food scraps collected from Washington County restaurants, grocery stores and other food businesses are turned into renewable energy to power homes and businesses, and compost for local gardens and farms. Learn more about how food scraps collection works in Washington County.
Request assistance today and you will be paired with a Green Business Advisor who can provide free tools and help you set up systems that are effective at reducing food waste.
You've done the work to make your business more sustainable. Now get the recognition you deserve by becoming a certified Green Business Leader!
Simply download and complete the application for either food service sector or office/retail sector. We'll follow up with a site visit to verify the information you provided, and then you'll receive your award and can start spreading the word! Looking for more sustainability inspiration? Download the list of additional practices your business can receive points for when applying.
Check out the growing list of businesses that are committed to a healthy, sustainable Washington County.Formas en español: Descargar la forma de solicitud de la certificación Empresa Verde para la Industria de alimentos, para Oficinas y sector minorista y La lista de prácticas adicionales.
|Use of the award logo in your marketing materials|
|A window decal|
|Social media announcement by Solid Waste & Recycling|
|Listing in our online Green Business Directory|
|Listing in our annual newspaper advertisement|
|Engraved plaque made in Oregon by Resource Revival|
|Press release template for your company to customize and send|
|Custom press release sent out by Washington County Health and Human Services|
- Mixed Recycling Poster (11" x 17") - Bilingual English/Spanish
- Glass Recycling Poster (8.5" x 11") - Bilingual English/Spanish
- Business Recycling Guide (8.5" x 11") - Available in English | Spanish | Vietnamese
- Garbage Poster (11" x 17") - Bilingual English/Spanish
- Deposit Bottles and Cans Poster (11" x 17") - English
- Battery Poster (11" x 17") - Bilingual English/Spanish
Food waste prevention
- Food Waste Reduction Alliance - A collaborative effort of the Grocery Manufacturers Association, Food Marketing Institute and National Restaurant Association
- Further With Food - Online hub developed by U.S. EPA, USDA and 10 other partners.
- Hotel Kitchen - Food waste prevention toolkit from the World Wildlife Fund and the American Hotel and Lodging Association
- ConServe - The National Restaurant Association's sustainability training program
- Food Donation Guide - English
- Temperature Log - English
- What to Donate Poster (11" x 17") - English
- How to Donate Poster (11" x 17") - English
Food scraps collection
- How food scraps collection works - English
- Composting and Recycling Training for Commercial Kitchens video: English | Spanish
- Price list for discounted BPI-certified compostable liner bags - Contact one of the vendors here and ask for the "Green Business price"
- Why reusable dishware is the most sustainable option (Sustainability at Work)
- Make the switch from paper towels to hand dryers (Sustainability at Work)
- Tap water vs bottled water (Sustainability at Work)
- Purchasing in bulk reduces waste (Sustainability at Work)
Green Business Award | Premio Empresa Verde
- Food Service Sector Application | Solicitud para le industria de alimentos
- Office and Retail Sector Application | Solicitud para oficinas y minoristas
- Additional Practices | Lista de prácticas adicionales
- Green Business Leaders Directory
In search of something you're not finding here? Your Green Business Advisor can help you find what you're looking for! Complete the assistance request form above.