Disposal Facilities


Disposal of Garbage

Household Garbage/Wet Waste
Typical household garbage is considered wet, or putrescible waste.  It contains organic materials that can decompose and has the potential to attract birds, rodents and other disease vectors.  Examples of putrescible waste includes food and kitchen waste.  This type of waste can be self-hauled to the Forest Grove Transfer Station, Metro South and Metro Central Transfer Stations.

Dry Waste
Other kinds of waste typically made up of construction and demolition debris, appliances, furniture, toys, clothes and other mixed waste that does not contain putrescible materials is considered dry waste.  Dry waste is  accepted at the Hillsboro Landfill from commercial and residential customers and at  Lakeside Reclamation Landfill by commercial customers only.  Washington County provides regulatory oversight to these two privately owned and operated dry waste landfills.  Effective July 1, 2009, the Lakeside Landfill will be closed to accepting dry waste.

Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste includes paints, pesticides, disinfectants, solvents, medical waste such as sharps, batteries, aerosols, automotive products thermometers, hobby chemicals, and pool and spa chemicals.  These can be disposed of at the Metro Central and Metro South Hazardous Waste Facilities and at the Metro Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events


Disposal Facilities

Forest Grove Transfer Station 
1525 B St. Forest Grove
Accepts most types of wastes, except hazardous waste. Call for information 503-992-1212.

Metro Central Transfer Station and Hazardous Waste Facility
6161 NW 61st St, Portland 
Accepts most types of wastes, including hazardous waste. Call for information 503-234-3000.

Metro South Transfer Station and Hazardous Waste Facility 
2001 Washington St., Oregon City
Accepts most types of wastes, including hazardous waste. Call for information 503-234-3000. 

Hillsboro Landfill
3205 SE Minter Bridge Road
Accepts Dry waste materials only.  No household garbage/kitchen type wastes. Call for information 503-640-9427.