Single-Family Recycling

Man and boy recyclingSingle-family residents have several options for managing unwanted materials at home. Residents may:

  • sign up for curbside garbage and recycling collection, 
  • do both, as some items such as hazardous and medical waste are not collected curbside. 

Often, having your materials collected is the cheapest and easiest option. Curbside garbage and recycling service charges are based on the size of your garbage roll cart. All haulers offer garbage roll carts ranging from 20 to 95 gallons. Preventing waste and recycling can save you money by reducing the amount of garbage you throw away.

Subscribing to garbage collection service includes mixed recycling — paper, cardboard, metal, and plastic bottles, buckets and tubs. Glass bottles and jars are collected separately. Learn more about what you can include in curbside recycling and how to prepare it. 

Collection service also includes yard debris recycling if you live in urban Washington County. Learn more below for what to do with food scraps and yard debris. 

To learn more, email a waste prevention and recycling specialist or call 503-846-3605.

Who collects my garbage and recycling?

Garbage and recycling collection service is provided by private companies (haulers). Each hauler serves a specific area. Look up which hauler serves your address by using the Garbage and Recycling Day tool or call 503-846-3605. 

When is my garbage and recycling collected? 

Use the Garbage and Recycling Day tool to find your pick-up schedule, print your collection calendar and sign up for alerts about changes in your pick-up schedule and service interruptions. You can also get the Garbage and Recycling Day app on your Apple or Android mobile device. 

Haulers provide customized print calendars and recycling guides to customers each year and when you first sign up for garbage and recycling collection service. Contact your hauler for more information. 

What do I recycle and where? 

Use the "what to recycle and where" feature of the Garbage and Recycling Day tool to search for items and what to do with them. It will give you information about whether the material is accepted in curbside recycling service or if it should be taken to a drop-off facility. 

What do I do with food scraps and yard debris? 

There are other options for managing your yard debris and food scraps. Food scraps are not collected in curbside yard debris roll carts. Burning yard debris is also not allowed within the Metro Service District. 

  • Take yard debris to a drop-off yard debris recycling center. Use the "what to recycle where" tool to find the closest to you
  • Compost some food scraps — with no bad smells — at your house or in your apartment with the help of worms

How do I get a large dumpster for big projects? 

Drop boxes or dumpsters for large home projects are also provided by the same hauler that provides curbside service for your address. Learn more about drop box service. 

Who do I contact if I have a question about my service or bill? 

Contact your hauler for garbage and recycling collection service or billing questions.

Rules and rates vary depending on which city you live in or if you live in unincorporated Washington County. Learn more about unincorporated Washington County's garbage and recycling rules and rates. Contact your city for its rules and rates. 

If you live in unincorporated Washington County and wish to file a complaint about your garbage and recycling collection service, you can file it online or call 503-846-3605 for questions. 

Sign up for recycling updates e-news 

Subscribe now to get the quarterly Recycling Update e-news with tips to prevent waste and recycle more. Read past editions