We are excited to offer Recycle+, a new service from your garbage and recycling company. This optional service begins July 1, 2022. Recycle+ is available to residential garbage and recycling collection customers living in urban unincorporated Washington County. Sign up now!
Recycle+ collection service offers:
- Collection of materials not included in standard recycling.
- Convenient on-call pickups.
- No subscription required; cancel any time.
Tip: Consider coordinating pickups with family, friends or neighbors.
Materials accepted in the Recycle+ collection service:
- Plastic film/bags (also known as plastic film packaging): A soft, flexible polyethylene (PE) packaging. Bags must be free of food residue.
- Produce bags
- Plastic bags
- Dry cleaning bags
- Plastic padded envelopes (no padded manila envelopes)
- Plastic overwrap for paper towels, paper plates, napkins, etc.
Where do plastic film and bags go: Trex, where it is made into high performance composite decking.
- Clear plastic #1 clamshell containers: One-piece containers hinged on one side and stamped with #1PET or PETE. Containers must be clear and clean of food residue. No black or other color plastic containers.
- Fruit containers
- Egg cartons
- Bakery containers
- Take-out containers
Where do clear plastic #1 clamshell containers go: Green Impact plastics, where they are turned into berry baskets.
- Bed linens
Where do textiles go: Pioneer Wiping Cloth, where it is downcycled into wiping cloths and rags.
Tip: Consider donating usable textiles to reuse organizations.
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs: A fluorescent lamp that is curved or folded to fit the space of a regular household lamp.
- Long fluorescent tubes used in commercial lighting are not accepted.
- Bulbs must be contained in a zip-sealed bag. This protects workers from mercury exposure should bulbs get broken during handling.
Where do compact fluorescent light bulbs go: URT, where they are safely processed into their separate components such as mercury, aluminum, and glass, for recycling.
Do not put other items in your purple bin. Items not accepted will be considered contamination and will not be picked up.
You will receive a lidded purple bin and plastic bags from your garbage and recycling company. Sort all materials by type. Put Recycle+ materials in the plastic bags provided and place them in the purple bin. Make sure the container lid can close completely to keep materials dry.
Why plastic bags? Each category of items needs to be kept separate and dry during collection. The plastic bags will be recycled once materials are at their final destinations.
Tip: To ensure materials are collected, make sure items are clean, sorted and bagged. Wet materials cannot be recycled in the Recycle+ program.
Recycle+ charges include a small base fee and a pickup fee for each requested pickup. You can set out your Recycle+ curbside or at another location on your property, such as at your doorstep or porch (additional fees apply).
Tip: Curbside is defined as within five feet of a public or private road.
- Base charge (billed monthly): $2.50
- Curbside pickup (each):$9.25
- Non-curbside pickup 5-150 feet (each): $11.70
- Non-curbside pickup over 150 feet (each): $13.02
If you qualify as a person with a disability as identified by Oregon state law and do not share a household with an individual capable of placing your container curbside, you can request non-curbside pickup at no extra charge. Contact your garbage and recycling company for more information.
Have your account information, name, address and a telephone number ready, then contact your garbage and recycling company. You’ll receive an 18-gallon purple bin with a lid and bags prior to your first collection day.
- Garbarino Disposal and Recycling Service: Sign up online or call 503-647-2335
- Hillsboro Garbage Disposal, Inc.: 503-648-4219
- Pride Disposal: Sign up online or call 503-625-6177
- Republic Services: 503-981-1278
- Swatco Sanitary Service, Inc: 503-324-0230
- Walker Garbage and Recycling Service: 503-531-6330
- Waste Management of Oregon: 800-808-5901
- West Slope Garbage Service: 503-292-8173
You can find your garbage and recycling company by using the Garbage and Recycling Day online tool.
Recycle+ is an on-call, every other week collection service. You must contact your garbage and recycling company to schedule a pickup at least two business days before each collection day.
Your garbage and recycling company will determine your Recycle+ collection day, which may be on a different day from your standard garbage and recycling collection.
Sign up for reminders: Use the Garbage and Recycling Day online tool or app or use the app on our website to view your schedule and set up your reminders. You can choose from push notifications, email or voice call reminders.
For doorstep collection, place your bin visibly near your doorstep or porch.
For curbside or roadside collection, place the bin near the road so that it does not block sidewalks, driveways, public streets or other rights of way.
Place your lidded bin out by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
For questions or concerns
Contact your garbage and recycling company for questions, to request service, or for issues related to collection.