Real-time garbage and recycling collection service alerts and interruptions are posted on the Garbage & Recycling Day tool. To receive alerts on your mobile device, download the Garbage and Recycling Day app on the AppStore or GooglePlay.
If your garbage and recycling collection was missed due to weather, the information below will help answer questions related to collection service in unincorporated Washington County. If your property resides inside a city boundary, contact your city office and/or collection company.
Instructions for how to dispose of storm or flood debris can be found here.
How do I know when my garbage/recycling will be picked up?
- If garbage collection is missed due to severe weather, service will be provided the following day if possible. If weather conditions continue to make collection difficult, garbage service will resume on the next regularly scheduled collection day. Schedules may vary by collection company and location.
- If recycling or yard debris collection were also missed due to weather, and could not be picked up the next day, service will likely occur on the next regularly scheduled collection day. Recycling and yard debris are collected every other week.
Contacting your garbage and recycling collection company
Contact your service provider for up-to-date collection information in your area. To find your service provider, use the Garbage & Recycling Day tool and enter your address.
My garbage and recycling volumes have doubled since my regular pick-up was missed. What should I do with the extras?
- Extra Garbage:
- Place your extra garbage at the curb for the next scheduled collection. There will be no additional charge for the extra material up to twice the volume of your regular service. If there is not enough room in your containers, place your garbage in a plastic bag next to your garbage can.
- Extra Recycling:
- If recyclable materials are more than your cart will hold, we recommend storing it and gradually adding it over the following weeks, until it is gone. This keeps the material dry and maintains its value as a recycling commodity.
- If you can't store it, please prepare your recycling as you would for regular collection. Recyclable material that does not fit in containers (because the container is full) can be set beside the container as long as it is properly prepared and set out on the scheduled collection day. For preparation instructions, view our recycling guide.