Frequently Asked Questions

What is WIC?pregnant woman with staff helping her
WIC provides supplemental foods, health care referrals, nutrition education, and breastfeeding promotion and support to low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who have a nutritional need or risk factor.

What is "nutritional risk"?
Nutritional risk is determined by a health professional such as a physician, nutritionist or nurse.

Who is eligible for WIC?
To qualify for Washington County WIC, you must live in Oregon, meet income guidelines and be in any of the categories below:

  • A pregnant woman
  • A woman breastfeeding a baby under one year of age
  • A woman who had a baby or was pregnant in the past six months
  • A baby up to his or her first birthday
  • A child up to his or her fifth birthday

What are WIC's income eligibility guidelines? 
Income guidelines can be found here.

May I apply if I am not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. We do not ask for proof of citizenship, and WIC keeps records confidential.

Are my foster children eligible?
Yes. Foster children are eligible until the age of five.

Are dads and grandparents eligible?
Yes. Although dads and grandparents cannot receive benefits for themselves, they may receive benefits for their children.

If someone is working, can they apply for WIC?
Yes. Working families can qualify for WIC.

Can someone be on WIC and SNAP (food stamps) at the same time?

If someone is no longer eligible for SNAP, are they eligible for WIC?
It is still possible to be eligible for WIC.

If I am homeless, may I receive WIC services?

If I am under the age of 18 and live with my parents, do I qualify for WIC?
You may qualify if you are under 18 years old and live with your parents/legal guardians if your parents/legal guardians meet WIC income eligibility requirements and/or provide less than 50% of your living necessities.

How can I sign up for WIC?
You will need to make an appointment and visit one of our three locations. We do not have online enrollment.

What should I bring to my appointment?
Please bring proof of income, proof of identification for the applicant, proof of address, proof of pregnancy if available, immunization record (for children). Visit our sign-up page for more information.

How much do WIC services cost?
WIC services are free to participants.

What foods are approved for WIC?
Here is the WIC Food List.

How will I know which grocery stores participate in the WIC program?
Participating grocery stores have a WIC sign posted at the front of the store to inform WIC clients that they accept WIC benefits. When you enroll in WIC, we'll give you more specific information on which grocery stores accept WIC. 

Can I use my WIC benefits at farmers markets?
Yes. We work with the WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program to provide our participants with special vouchers to be used at local farmers markets.

What happens if I move out of the area?
WIC is nationwide! Ask us for transfer information if you plan on moving to or from our area.

Why are food benefits not showing in my account?
Please contact us at or 503-846-3555.

Does WIC provide medical/health care?
No, WIC does not provide medical care. However, WIC provides referrals to health care services. You can also call the Washington County Health Care Resource Line at 503-846-8851.