Birth & Death Certificates

Notice: Effective November 18, 2020, our offices will have limited access due to Governor Brown's recent Two-Week Freeze. In-person services may be available by appointment only. The public is encouraged to use the alternate options of phone, e-mail, US Postal Service or online.

Please visit Washington County COVID-19 Page for the latest information: 


The Environmental Health Program encourages our customers and operators to continue the use of our online services for licensing, onsite wastewater and child care. We would also encourage the use of phone and mail services to obtain Vital Records documents such as birth and death certificates. The following link provides information on the County re-opening and Phase 1 requirements:


Starting June 24, 2020 the use of facial covering is required while in indoor public places. In-person waiting time may be increased due to new configuration to Environmental Health lobby to meet physical distancing requirement. Physical distancing of 6 feet is required and will be enforced by County staff.



Washington County Vital Records issues certified records of births and deaths that occur in this county after the original record has been registered and filed. You may apply to Washington County for records up to the last day of the fifth month from date of birth or death. For example, if your baby was born on January 10, you can apply for a birth record from Washington County until July 9 during our regular weekday business hours only. These documents are available to authorized individuals for purchase upon request. 


If the birth or death occurred six months ago or longer, certified records must be obtained from the Oregon Health Authority (Vital Records). 

Application for:

To obtain a birth or death record outside of Oregon:

If you were born in another country to parents who are U.S. citizens, or if a U.S. citizen died abroad prior to 1987, you may obtain consular reports documenting these events from the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs website

The Bureau of Consular Affairs website also provides address lists of foreign consular offices in the United States. These offices may provide help if you are not a U.S. citizen and need assistance in ordering a vital record from another country.